What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:10 am
fergus wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:55 am A wonderful disc of superbly played String Quartets:

Ah Fergus, welcome back. This has been a very lonely and quiet site for lovers of classical music.

I have had the Quatuor Ebéne recordings for several years and I love them.
Cheers Seán. I hope that you and yours are keeping well.
It is indeed an excellent disc.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Recently I have been listening to the C. Kleiber version of Verdi's La Traviata at a rate of one act per day

Seán

Post by Seán »

Last December Paavo Järvi brought the German pianist, Fabian Müller, and the magnificent Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen to the NCH for a concert of music by Beethoven and Joseph Haydn. They performed the First Piano Concerto, and Haydn's 97th and 102nd symphonies. It was a marvellous concert, the performance of the Haydn 102 was really special. This is a great German chamber orchestra. I would dearly love to see them and Järvi again.

I have more than 20 Beethoven symphony cycles in my collection and at present this is the pick of the bunch.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 3
Symphony No. 4

Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen
Paavo Järvi
Last edited by Seán on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:30 pm Recently I have been listening to the C. Kleiber version of Verdi's La Traviata at a rate of one act per day
I am not especially fond of opera and so I find Verdi's music VERY difficult to listen to. I have Abbado's Verdi box set so it's not the quality of the performances, it's down to me I'm afraid.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:04 am
We are indeed, thank you. I will retire in July 2024. I'm looking forward to it
fergus

Post by fergus »

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5 [Haitink/Concertgebouw Orch.]

This is a terrifically taut and powerful performance.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:54 pm Last December Paavo Järvi brought the German pianist, Fabian Müller, and the magnificent Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen to the NCH for a concert of music by Beethoven and Joseph Haydn. They performed the First Piano Concerto, and Haydn's 97th and 102nd symphonies. It was a marvellous concert, the performance of the Haydn 102 was really special. This is a great German chamber orchestra. I would dearly love to see them and Järvi again.

I have more than 20 Beethoven symphony cycles in my collection and at present this is the pick of the bunch.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 3
Symphony No. 4

Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen
Paavo Järvi
Interesting but I do not know the cycle.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:56 pm
fergus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:30 pm Recently I have been listening to the C. Kleiber version of Verdi's La Traviata at a rate of one act per day
I am not especially fond of opera and so I find Verdi's music VERY difficult to listen to. I have Abbado's Verdi box set so it's not the quality of the performances, it's down to me I'm afraid.
I am not particularly fond of most opera myself but I did find this music very accessible, particularly the Final Act. It might be worth listening to the Abbado version of the final act again.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:59 pm
fergus wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:04 am
We are indeed, thank you. I will retire in July 2024. I'm looking forward to it
Best Wishes for that Seán!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:24 pm Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5 [Haitink/Concertgebouw Orch.]

This is a terrifically taut and powerful performance.
I agree. That was my very first Shostakovich cd back in 2007 and I was advised by someone on CMG that it wasn’t a good performance I thought otherwise and still do.