What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: If you asked me where my principle growth in appreciation during 2011 had come.. it would be Handel, Haydn & Purcell... their discographies have grown considerably at chez Butcher. I agree with that statement in its entirety... and I'll be working back to Orlando Gibbons before too long.. ;-)
That is very interesting Jared. I personally can see where you are coming from as you know from my tastes but I think that we unfortunately find ourselves in somewhat of a minority; the Classical, Baroque and Early Music seem not to have such a big fan base in Classical Music for some reason that I personally could never understand. Each to his own I suppose; as long as people are listening to some Classical music, that is the main thing!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: hmmm... you're a very expensive man to know, Mr Byrne... ;-)
Not necessarily for an avid, professional bargain hunter like yourself!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Yes, left to my own devices, I don';t think I would have gonbe for the Harnoncourt. I rarely find anything 'wrong' with his interpretations and this one is fine enough; its just that I always find him very emotionally restrained, to the point of being over-refined and calculated.. I don't know whether you agree; maybe its just me... but I'd like to compare it with an alternative, and the one above has come highly recommended.
I liked some of his earlier recordings but I find him a bit hot and cold now, especially once he strayed into the Romantic era. However, that statement comes with a Huge Health Warning as one of my best purchases for 2011 was the Harnoncourt Brahms Symphonic cycle....simply stunning and one of the best that I have heard!!!
Jared

Post by Jared »

I had been meaning to ask you; I know you've been making some excursions into the world of Romantic & Late Romantic opera of late... have you been enjoying it immensely, or does it still need some work?

Naturally, I'd be most pleased for you if you'd made some headway, but it's a struggle for me no matter how many times I try. You hear about these people who get taken to the Opera for the first time and their lives are spiritually changed as they come away with tears streaming down their cheeks. I was never one of those I'm afraid, still finding it very difficult to become emotionally involved with Carmen, Violetta or Mimi... ;-/
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:I had been meaning to ask you; I know you've been making some excursions into the world of Romantic & Late Romantic opera of late... have you been enjoying it immensely, or does it still need some work?

Naturally, I'd be most pleased for you if you'd made some headway, but it's a struggle for me no matter how many times I try. You hear about these people who get taken to the Opera for the first time and their lives are spiritually changed as they come away with tears streaming down their cheeks. I was never one of those I'm afraid, still finding it very difficult to become emotionally involved with Carmen, Violetta or Mimi... ;-/
No, it definitely needs more work. I was never an Opera fan myself but I am developing a taste fot it I must say. However, I have been sticking with the "safe" works like Madame Butterfly and La Boheme. However, this all started when I bought Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavelier highlights. I loved it and I duly bought the full work....the music blew me away, but then I would say that, wouldn't I. Sincerely, I thought that it was magnificent!
I will continue my odyssey, but slowly. I once read that one grows into Opera....in my case I think that this is coming to pass, but slowly.
Jared

Post by Jared »

1st listen to 1st disk of my 1st Rameau purchase.... really high quality performance and recording of what sounds like very intriguing repertoire:

fergus

Post by fergus »

My Christmas Day listening commenced with two JS Bach Cantatas BWV63 & BWV191 on Christmas morning....

Later I listened to Part 1 of the JS Bach Christmas Oratorio [Richter]....

....and I concluded on Christmas night with two more JS Bach Cantatas BWV91 & BWV110....

Seán

Post by Seán »

I started Christmas Day listening to Bach, I couldn't decide which of the two recordings of the Oratorio to listen to so I listened to both performances in my collection, twice, yesterday was a Bach day, my lovely wife enjoyed the music too:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Sonatas 1-5:

fergus

Post by fergus »

Yesterday, for day 2 of Christmas I played JSB Cantata BWV57....

....and Part 2 of the Richter version of JS Bach Christmas Oratorio....