What are you listening two?

Diapason

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Diapason »

Thank you for those suggestions. Qobuz will be getting a workout.

You've also prompted me to have a quick run through a few preludes at home here. Sadly, the harpsichord I had on loan for a couple of years has gone back to its rightful owner. I really miss it, I have to say.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
markof

Post by markof »

Highly Recommended and check the cover!
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Amazing!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Quick off the mark!
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening this evening to a wonderful box set of Dvorak’s complete chamber music with piano performed by the Busch Trio and guests on the Alpha label. The piano trios, piano quartets and piano quintets in vibrant, joyous, life-affirming performances by this wonderful ensemble. Very highly recommended.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Over the past week I’ve been re-acquainting myself with Adam Fischer’s complete traversal of the Haydn symphonies with the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra. Originally recorded for Nimbus, Brilliant Classics swooped in and licensed the set for release on their label when Nimbus went bust.

I haven’t heard these recordings for a while and it was a pleasure to re-immerse myself in Fischer’s readings. He captures the charm and geniality, the urbane wit and sophistication, and the very human warmth that lies at the heart of this great music.

To my mind, Fisher’s set eclipses Antal Dorati’s pioneering cycle. He consistently draws out more inner details and conveys a greater sense of transparency and he sounds fully engaged from the first to the last symphony. Dorati’s attention sags during the earlier symphonies particularly whereas Fischer sounds consistently inspired and maintains alertness, freshness and a wonderful sense of joie de vivre throughout. However, Decca’s recorded sound for Dorati is superior to that of Nimbus for Fischer. Dorati’s best performances here are of the mighty Paris and London symphonies which are excellent but ultimately pale in comparison to my personal favourites of Harnoncourt (Paris) and Minkowski (London).

I remain very fond of Hogwood’s almost complete cycle on period instruments and consider it a travesty that he wasn’t permitted to complete the cycle. Hopefully Giovanni Antonioni will be able to finish his projected cycle by 2032 but this seems currently unlikely. It’s been an extraordinary project so far and all signs point to a new reference once it’s finally complete.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
tony

Post by tony »

I like this a lot any classical buff aware if this recording is available on CD? Mrs Garanca for me is always a pleasant listen.

Last edited by tony on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

I like this a lot any classical buff aware if this recording is available on CD? Mrs Garanca for me is always a pleasant listen.

GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've accompanied that more than once, I can tell you.

No idea about the recording though.