It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

Sligolad

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by Sligolad »

Looks neat Fran, looks like we are getting way more than planned with this amp.
Really looking forward to seeing the first one roll off the line now.

Post by Sligolad »

OK back to work....got the 60+ yellow leads all stripped crimped and soldered the past few days though I would not want to be doing that for a living with a manual crimping pliers!!
The last of the struts are included in the picture so that is the last of the 3D printing for the amps.

Just the heat shrink now for Tony next.

Post by Sligolad »

OK for the drilling of the sides for the Power Supply boards I printed a Left and Right Drill Guide using Fryderyk's PDFs and some measurements from the last get together.
Looks like we could be CNC cutting these so here are pics of what I think the patterns are with the added holes.

Left and Right patterns here laid on the PDF prints.

Left detail here with the added holes marked in Red. One added hole in the top row that we probably do not need.

Right detail here with the added holes marked in Red. One added hole in the top row that we probably do not need.

Two of the added top holes match with the 2 screws we see in the picture below.

The added Hole on the bottom of both Left and Right patterns match with the hole on the bottom seen here.

Last picture shows how the patterns align with the top edge of the aluminium.

Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Looks brilliant Pearse!

Yes, this is shaping up to be really special.
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 5:06 pm A quick proof of concept for how the source selector and power state indicator wiring will work.

The LEDs sort of glow through the material when on - when its off you see nothing just the clean surface.

Excuse the dirt!

is the leds too big/bright?
is there such a thing as miniature leds?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 pm OK back to work....got the 60+ yellow leads all stripped crimped and soldered the past few days though I would not want to be doing that for a living with a manual crimping pliers!!
The last of the struts are included in the picture so that is the last of the 3D printing for the amps.

Just the heat shrink now for Tony next.
jeezz u dont hang about
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:35 pm OK for the drilling of the sides for the Power Supply boards I printed a Left and Right Drill Guide using Fryderyk's PDFs and some measurements from the last get together.
Looks like we could be CNC cutting these so here are pics of what I think the patterns are with the added holes.

Left and Right patterns here laid on the PDF prints.

Left detail here with the added holes marked in Red. One added hole in the top row that we probably do not need.

Right detail here with the added holes marked in Red. One added hole in the top row that we probably do not need.

Two of the added top holes match with the 2 screws we see in the picture below.

The added Hole on the bottom of both Left and Right patterns match with the hole on the bottom seen here.

Last picture shows how the patterns align with the top edge of the aluminium.

they look right

what size are the holes?
need to confirm exact hole dimensions with Fryderyk
if we think we have it right we can meetup next wkend and check it against a case side panel
think ive all the parts to get the first amp working by then too
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

The holes in the patterns are about 6.3mm for a spotting drill I have.
The spotting drill just goes a couple of millimetres into the aluminium to create a countersink to guide the correct drill sizes needed for each of the holes.

Post by tony »

Have hair dryer at the ready hopefully that lovely work will not turn from Yellow to black.

I know there was discussion about drilling with a stand and free hand but either way let me know if I can do any of that.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

not sure a hair dryer will be hot enough
and if it was i wouldn't use it as purpose intended
hmmn might have to find something else