MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
mick

Re: MQN

Post by mick »

To reinforce what sbgk has said, while in Nige's house the other night,Nige was working with the equipment, he put on a track and there was an obvious improvement in sq. I thought he had changed the dac however he had actually adjusted parameters in the bios. That was the level of improvement.
Peter Stockwell

Post by Peter Stockwell »

cvrle59 wrote:I do have MC19 too, and Naim DAC-V1/Nap100/Harbeth P3ESR's. To me the difference is obvious, and I'm not even thinking to go back and listen JRiver, but I do use GUI to locate music in it.
Are you using Memory playback in JRiver MC 19 ?
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
Clive101

Post by Clive101 »

sbgk wrote:
tony wrote:Clive the 24bit one is the one we are all waiting on for dacs that require it for hires.
There is no working version yet SBGK is working on it

SBGK Thanks re info on version. When I get an evening to test out some of the favs will make sure I note the versions if that fails will contact you.
the 24 bit test version has worked in the past, not come across that error before, shall try and dig out a diagnostic version, it doesn't play, but will give some diagnostic messages.
Hi sbgk

Have got the 24 bit version working with 24 bit 96 KHz playing fine - I needed to install a Visual C++ runtime and it started working :) Initial impressions is that sound is more "stable" and more solid than Foobar with JPLAY.

I can't get normal 16 bit 44.1 wav working with this version (just thought I'd try it) but I guess you know that. First impressions, though, are very very good

Regards
Clive
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Peter Stockwell wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:I do have MC19 too, and Naim DAC-V1/Nap100/Harbeth P3ESR's. To me the difference is obvious, and I'm not even thinking to go back and listen JRiver, but I do use GUI to locate music in it.
Are you using Memory playback in JRiver MC 19 ?
Yes I do, and I almost do not hear the difference comparing to streaming it. Even JRiver is stating the same, there is no SQ difference.
MQn changes the game, that even my wife who's not that picky, doesn't want to listen JRiver any more. The reason why I had to implement HotKey thing, to call MQn.bat, was actually her.
Everything becomes more open, more details, especially the background instrument, more air between the instruments, more texture on base, but voices... sometimes I think they are singing live in my leaving room. A few nights ago we were listening an old Elvis's album and we just looked into each other, wow. The other big difference is the low volume presentation. For the first time I can say that computer (including CD player - I used owe Naim CDS, one of the most "analog" CD players) playback doesn't feel "digital".
When I started with MQa, I was running a few tracks around to test different versions of MQn. Recently, I listen different music, and I find so much new coming from every album that I just can't believe. Naim+Harbeth has a lot to do it too. I used owe 3-4 time more expensive equipment (I already wrote about it), but this little system with MQn just kills it. Naim just nailed it with this DAC-V1 and NAP100, amazing little combo (SBGK may not like Naim, so what, I do...lol). P3ESR's are well know as very precise and accurate speakers. There are some low notes missing out of small bookshelf speakers, but whatever comes out of them is worth million bucks. My plan is to replace them with 30.1 some day, and that would be it.
USB cable is AudioQuest Cinnamon, nothing too fancy.
I just use my ordinary Dell LapTop with Win8, and I made only one optimization so far. SBGK explained it on CA thread, but I will post it again.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\P ro Audio]
"Scheduling Category"="High"
"GPU Priority"=dword:00000008
"Affinity"=dword:00000000
"Clock Rate"=dword:0000b568
"SFIO Priority"="Normal"
"Priority"=dword:00000008
"Background Only"="False"
Last edited by cvrle59 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well done to all of you for pursuing the fine art of finding Hi Fi Nirvana in CA.

A big journey starts with one small step.................... (Chairman Mao, I think)

However as a dedicated CD and TT user... I do value your interest / dedication / enthusiasm in the pursuit of CA Hi Fi. You guys are the "pathfinders" of tomorrows common usage technology. The world needs guys like you a lot, an awful lot.

I sometimes wonder just why Steve Jobs, who did use a TT, settled on the format he did for CA music. I understand that "music for the masses" is a commercial decision... but Steve was also a perfectionist.............. why was there not a Hi Res Itunes version for audiophiles?

In relation to the bits or bits brigade....................

Obviously..............

All bottles of wine with a broad base and narrow top................All taste the same...

All automobiles with 4 doors and 4 wheels .............................Drive the same....

All houses with 4 bedrooms ................................................ Are the same...

All paintings with 4 corners.................................................. look the same...

I could go on................... but you know the message................... "You can't teach Pork"

Keep up the good fight boys............... you will overcome.................. and those bits or bits boys will eventually............"REPENT"

Let the Good Times Roll...................
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

just want to apologise to Lekt and JC, I was confused about what they were up to and mistook their enthusiasm for something else. Hope they continue to post and I appreciate their efforts in the past.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Uploaded various combinations of atom/amd/intel compiled versions of sse2 and sse4 2.59 8 4 16 16 8

MQn will run on intel, atom and amd cpus, it's just some people report better sound if it's compiled for the specific cpu.

Just watching van Gerwen vs van Barneveld at the darts in Dublin, guess that's where Tony etc are tonight. It's good to be entertained by the Dutch for a change.
tony

Post by tony »

Trying out the R2 beta optimizer from Audiophil just very little time to do this this week. Headed straight to Oscar Peterson the usual massive atttack bass track and Corcavado and all sounds very nice. Can't say I was expecting it to be worse. The optimizer as is the norm now works like a dream. Phil has introduced 4 digital settings in the set up. I picked the default and still using sound sig 4.

For those who don't have 2012 R2 normal or optimized boot up is really fast. R2 is more user friendly in Gui mode than the 2012.
Sbgk has posted info today about the new release of windows and it seems whatever microsoft have done recently it is aiding audio playback.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

sbgk wrote:Uploaded various combinations of atom/amd/intel compiled versions of sse2 and sse4 2.59 8 4 16 16 8

MQn will run on intel, atom and amd cpus, it's just some people report better sound if it's compiled for the specific cpu.

Just watching van Gerwen vs van Barneveld at the darts in Dublin, guess that's where Tony etc are tonight. It's good to be entertained by the Dutch for a change.

Some of us and some out in the sticks. Will put in more effort next week to try all this new stuff any attempt this week would be just to keep up with the jones and wouldn't be described as easy listening. Not sure where the darts are on didn't realise the dutch did that as well always thought it was a north of england thing.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That darts game was utterly brilliant. Wish I'd known this was happening at Citywest -- I would have gone.

(That's the first sensible comment I've been able to make in this thread!)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2