What are you listening two?

mcq

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by mcq »

Fabio Biondi is a violinist that I have also enjoyed following throughout his career, Mark.  He never overplays or exaggerates his undoubted virtuosity and his playing is notable for successfully marrying an elegant refinement with a fiery underbelly.  It is also good to see him explore music outside of the Italian Baroque in the case of Leclair and, hopefully, one day he will investigate the music of Biber as well.  He is a also a gifted conductor of opera and sacred music.  Aside from his many successes in the Italian Baroque repertoire, his very unexpected recording of Bellini's I Capuleti e I Montecchi was a total success, in my opinion, as was his recording of Handel's Imeneo.  

You should also investigate Jean-Fery Rebel, a contemporary of Leclair.  One of my favourite violinists, Amandine Beyer, recorded a superb selection of his violin sonatas.  And there is also another fine CD by Ensemble Rebel that covers his trio sonatas.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

A glorious disc.  Orchestral suites 1, 3 and 4 coupled with arrangements by oboist extraordinaire and emsemble leader Alfredo Bernardini of two of Bach's canatas.  Quite simply, these are some of the most visceral versions of these masterpieces that I have heard; power and passion and grandeur counterbalanced by grace and elegance and refinement are the hallmarks of these inspirational performances.  Speeds are on the fast side, but beautifully judged and never feel rushed, and it is a testament to the virtuosity of the musicians that no details of the most extended passages are obscured in any way.  Strongly and most passionately recommended.  The spirit of the dance burns brightly in these life-enhancing performances.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Superb.  Biber's richly inventive pieces performed with a wonderful exuberance by the ever-reliable Gunar Letzbor and his ensemble, Ars Antiqua Austria.

mcq

Post by mcq »

I've been basking in the Beaux Arts Trio's magnificent performances of the Haydn Piano Trios all day.  Every time I listen to this extraordinarily rich and multifaceted music, I wonder why it is not more widely recorded.  It was Haydn's enduring legacy as a composer was to produce work of an astoundingly consistent quality, perhaps matched only by Bach and Beethoven.  The choral works, symphonies, string quartets, keyboard sonatas and the piano trios in particular display a collective vision of compositional artistry that is rare.  The Beaux Arts Trio's pioneering recordings of the piano trios remain a benchmark in their command not only of the required technical virtuosity but also in their keen sensitivity to the human qualities, the life-embracing wit and pathos that breathes at the heart of every quirk of rhythm, harmony and timing that confronts the listener at every turn.  A remarkable achievement.

mcq

Post by mcq »

There is a real intellectul rigour about Froberger  - a cerebral aspect touched by nobility  -  that is grasped very firmly by Glen Wilson in these immaculate, commanding, utterly convincing performances.  Very highly recommended. 

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I played a Froberger piece at a recital last year and I fell in love with it utterly. Fabulous music.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
mcq

Post by mcq »

An exceptional recording.  Mondonville was evidently deeply influenced by his great contemporary, Rameau, but he is very much his own man and is never derivative.  György Vashegyi and his wonderful ensemble have also recorded  a beautiful version of Mondonville's Grands Motets for Glossa and they have continued in fine style with this impassioned, deeply heartfelt recording.

cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:48 pm Image

What's it like Mark? More of the same? Stunning cover. Reminds me of the groove walls of a record :) Sounds loud and angry!
markof

Post by markof »

cybot wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:46 pm
markof wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:48 pm Image

What's it like Mark? More of the same? Stunning cover. Reminds me of the groove walls of a record :) Sounds loud and angry!
Sorry for the delay in replying - only just saw your posting.

The album comprises music for a contemporary ballet - Woolf Works - with themes from Mrs Dalloway - Orlando - The Waves and comprises orchestral and instrumental pieces, including electronica, with narrated pasages.

The last track is a very beautiful extended piece opening with Woolf's moving suicide note, hypnotic and as melancholic as you might suspect.

Points of reference for me would be Richter's earlier Blue Notebooks and Fordlandia by Johannsson.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X