It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

nige2000

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by nige2000 »

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Unfortunately im not gonna have this one singing by sunday, we will be mostly discussing remaining design and organising the build!

ill bring something that we can listen too for a while,
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Coming from a manufacturing background Nige, while the work looks super impressive i cannot stop seeing lots of man hours when i look at the recent pictures.
Any idea what kind of hours you have clocked up so far?

I have the seven sets of battery cases finally finished but for me it has been mainly machine hours and running unattended overnight which has helped for the printing.
For the record about 600 hours of printing using 3.5 rolls of PLA plastic filament (each roll 1 kilogram with 330 metres of 1.75 mm filament).
Print head had a 0.4mm nozzle so the printer pushed out almost 4 kilometers of molten plastic during the 600 hours.
Will bring them along tomorrow.

Lots of interest at work as I was coming in each day tearing down and setting up new prints.
Told them they were part of project developed by a crazy farmer from Meath that we could not help but get involved in from the start :-)

I will stick a link in here to the STL and CNC files for all the parts in a Dropbox folder once we confirm they work OK in the Amp.
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I know from lots of conversations that there has been huge man hours put into this by Nigel.

There is a balance between Nigel making one and getting it working to lead the rest of us along vs having to do lots of repetitive work. So the time is probably close to share out making the wiring looms and drilling and tapping the holes. Its the kind of thing that is a bit boring but with a good few pairs of hands (of which I know there are lots of willing sets here) would fly by. We might parcel out some of this on Sunday maybe. Some of us will be good at wiring, and some have pillar drills etc for drilling and tapping, some with CNC routers and some with 3D printers! So we can work to our strengths. When we have the components made, we can move on to assembly stages.

Apart form anything else, we are near peak farming so Nigel must be coming under pressure there too.

I saw the cases last week, and they look great, really sturdy. This will not only sound fab, but look it too! No birds nest of wire in a biscuit tin here!
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I've been keeping the odd eye on this thread for a while now, absolutely fantastic work and great to see interest / collaboration / support / enthusiasm from all.

However like Pierce mentions above I also see a truly enormous number of man hours, not just in the physical construction but also in the mental design of the amplifier. Decisions have to be made at every stage, positioning, cable runs, sizing and that is tiring. Not to mention the cost of getting something wrong if you happen to be out a decimal point.

You must be well into the thousands of man hours now. Great achievement but not to be underestimated or taken for granted.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Thanks for the support guys
and for contributing

although more courier woes with dpd (must be a new driver)
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Nightmare!!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

quick snap of pearse's cradles in situ
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

A quick proof of concept for how the source selector and power state indicator wiring will work.

The LEDs sort of glow through the material when on - when its off you see nothing just the clean surface.

Excuse the dirt!

Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Nifty will get a better look at vid later
Was thinking about names
As there's seven dwarfs
maybe snow white would suit