What are you listening two?

markof

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by markof »

A lovely light but rich sound here.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:Image

A lovely light but rich sound here.

Mark
I agree. In fact the entire collection of Mozart recordings by Claudio Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart is well worth getting.

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

This arrived from MDT in the UK today as I noted in the New Purchases section

One of the best discs in the set is the Gould "Spirituals for Orchestra" and the "Copland Dance Symphony." Gould (1913-1996) was a fine composer with four symphonies, several concertos and much other music that was often influenced by jazz, Latin American and popular music of the day. Great set with several recordings making their disc premieres.
Seán

Post by Seán »

I need a distraction from my wall to wall Mozart and this is just a great way to do it, what a lovely set!

Dmitri Shostakovich
Cello Concerto No. 1 in E flat

Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra
Mstislav Rostropovich - Cello
Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting.

Dmitri Shostakovich
Cello Concerto No. 2 in G

USSR State Symphony Orchestra
Evgeny Svetlanov conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

BAL on Record Review was awful this morning so I returned to an old faithful of mine:

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 2 & 3

Staatskapelle Dresden
Herbert Blomstedt conducting.

Fabulous.
I am now listening to the Fourth; wife permitting, I might get the rest in today.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 4 & 5

Staatskapelle Dresden

I prefer lighter forces in the Fourth, that said it is a hugely enjoyable performance, the Fifth is marvellous.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Seán wrote:I need a distraction from my wall to wall Mozart and this is just a great way to do it, what a lovely set!

Dmitri Shostakovich
Cello Concerto No. 1 in E flat

Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra
Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting.

Dmitri Shostakovich
Cello Concerto No. 2 in G

USSR State Symphony Orchestra
Evgeny Svetlanov conducting.

Looks like a great compilation!
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:
Seán wrote:I need a distraction from my wall to wall Mozart and this is just a great way to do it, what a lovely set!

Looks like a great compilation!
Indeed it is Don. I do not have enough cello concerto recordings in my collection so I sought out the Rostropovich and Blysma box sets.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 6 & 7

Staatskapelle Dresden

This is a very good performance of the Sixth and on listening to the Seventh I find that my ears are tiring of the sound of the Dresdeners.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X