What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

DonKC wrote:John Kinsella Symphony # 3 and # 4
O Duinn National SO of Ireland

Marco Polo

I enjoy these two wonderful, almost Sibelian works.

If you enjoy that CD Don I can certainly recommend the following for you....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

fergus wrote:
DonKC wrote:John Kinsella Symphony # 3 and # 4
O Duinn National SO of Ireland

Marco Polo

I enjoy these two wonderful, almost Sibelian works.

If you enjoy that CD Don I can certainly recommend the following for you....

I have heard, but do not own the Symphony 5 and 10 disc. I am not always a fan of narration and music, but # 5 is well done. The events of 1916 had a profound impact on the Irish side of my family (Cloney) resulting in many of them coming here to join some cousins and such already in the US. Thus I have always had a fascination with the history and prominent figures of Irish independence, although in the 5th, Kinsella draws on poetry that is not overtly political. The 10th is excellent as well. The other disc is intriguing, but I have never seen it. Probably not available now or in US?

Edit: I see MDT in the UK has it, I will have to order! The 5/10 disc is the only symphony one easily available here, although the Marco Polo disc is around although OOP apparently.
markof

Post by markof »

A little modern Irish and fantastic with it.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

RIP Robert Craft (1923-11/10/15) Stravinsky's assistant and practically adopted son. His role in Stravinsky's life is ever controversial, but he made valuable first stereo recordings of Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Varese, Webern and music of the Renaissance such as Gesualdo and Monteverdi. He recorded much of Stravinsky's orchestral works for Naxos in the last few years. He also conducted the world premieres of most of Stravinsky's late works.

This has long been a favorite, as it contains a stellar performance of the Brahms Piano Quartet in G op 25 in the Schoenberg orchestral arrangement. Great fun.

Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:....The events of 1916 had a profound impact on the Irish side of my family (Cloney) resulting in many of them coming here to join some cousins and such already in the US. Thus I have always had a fascination with the history and prominent figures of Irish independence...
A very fine name indeed. I knew your relatives were Cloney's Don, I hadn't realised it was as recent as 1916 when they departed these shores.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I am slowly but surely making my way through this lovely set as I stay awhile on a particular symphony or two that takes my fancy.

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No 26, 27, 28 & 29

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Dorati conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Seán wrote:
DonKC wrote:....The events of 1916 had a profound impact on the Irish side of my family (Cloney) resulting in many of them coming here to join some cousins and such already in the US. Thus I have always had a fascination with the history and prominent figures of Irish independence...
A very fine name indeed. I knew your relatives were Cloney's Don, I hadn't realised it was as recent as 1916 when they departed these shores.
My Grandmother Dora and her brother Patrick Cloney came here in 1919, waiting until WWI was over to make the voyage. Patrick died in 1949 before I was born, but stories of his singing and hijinks were many.

I have been told I have an Irish accent and an "Irish lilt" to my voice. I don't hear it... but more than one person has told me so it must be true.

And to make this relevant to the topic, I am listening to the Shostakovich Symphony # 5 in a very dramatic, dark and intense performance by the late Yakov Kreizberg and the Russian National Orchestra on PentaTone. Highly recommended.

markof

Post by markof »

Spent the afternoon listening to the first two entries of the Alpha lable's Haydn 2032 project.
Two really excellent records which have opened my ears to Haydn.

and

Details of the project can be found at:
http://www.haydn2032.com/EN/haydn2032.html

Mark
Last edited by markof on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X