MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

m.massimo wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:
m.massimo wrote: Has anyone tested HPET+useplatformclock versus SQ?
yes. it sucks.
Are your findings similar to mine (HPET disabled, useplatformclock true, best combination)?
don't understand what you meant. tried it anyway.

HPET enabled = not good
HPET disabled + not useplatformclock = best
HPET disabled + useplatformclock = small lost in micro. nothing serious
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

quickly tested

3.43 vs 3.39
-3.43 reduces drum weight. 3.39 weight is close to 100% real. 3.43 probably better for ears
-drum weight reduces -> vocal power also reduces
-3.43 less raw less noise

3.44 just passes the point into being little intense. so prefer 3.43

style changes a little. 3.43 probably better
m.massimo

Post by m.massimo »

jesuscheung wrote:
HPET enabled = not good
HPET disabled + not useplatformclock = best
HPET disabled + useplatformclock = small lost in micro. nothing serious
Thank you. Your results are similar to mine: HPET enabled is not good, the other two quite the same, though I preferred the third at first. I'll check again.
jrling

Post by jrling »

nige2000 wrote:
Clive wrote:Could your clocks and buffers render your dac mostly immune to transport quality?
ive yet to hear anything remotely immune to input quality, but the meitner does better than most
+1

I have a Chord DAC that reclocks the SPDIF input stream into a 4 second buffer and has high quality clocks on board, and I can detect MQn version change SQ easily and it is not at all subtle in some cases.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
minionas

Post by minionas »

Hi m.massimo/all,

I'm building a new dac for myself with USB input based on WaveIO module (BuffaloIIISE/p.hynes shunt modules + full P.Hynes power supplies for WaveIO and Buffalo board + high end tube PS powered, lampizator tube output stage). But am wondering if thesycon drivers are fully "MQN friendly" :)? I mean, are you able to play all files succesfully (16/44, 24/44, 24/48, 24/88, 24/96, 26/192) with 3.+ versions? Maybe someone else of thesycon/waveio users might chime in, cause i'm not fully sure if i'm doing right decission choosing WaveIO as my USB input :)?
Thanks guys!
m.massimo wrote:I listened to the latest versions up to sse2 3.41, sse2 and 1644 material only.
I changed back the control to 1.6, I prefer it over 512 that I used lately.
My last reference was sse2 3.26 sub + 512. sse2 3.41+1.6 is a real competitor, it's cleaner, better bass control, but a little bit shouting in the mid-highs, however it seems more correct globally, though I like sse2 3.26 sub + 1.6 a lot (voices particularly), it only had a better bass control.

Listened:
Pat Metheny - Secret story
Pat Metheny - One quiet night
Youn Sun Nah - Same girl

Has anyone tested HPET+useplatformclock versus SQ?
It's not really clear to me how this setting influence the SQ, my default was 2.08MHz (checked with WinTimerTester), I tested 3.58MHz and 14.32MHz as well. The latest introduces some harshness, the sound seems more detailed but drier too, the other two are quite similar. I'll go with 3.58MHz, the sound seems to me more convincing overall.

Another test I recently made is about mqnplay.exe priority. I wasn't able to change it through Tasker, it remained at normal. Now with the latest mqnload version that accepts .bat file I added

wmic process where name="mqnplay.exe" CALL setpriority 128

and it works, though realtime is not accepted.

Values are:
idle: 64
below normal: 16384
normal: 32
above normal: 32768
high priority: 128
real time: 256

In my opinion High priority is better than Normal, the sound seems less constrained (I kill mqncontrol.exe too). There's more air around instruments.

MQn is really an outstanding player, thank you sbgk.
jrling

Post by jrling »

minionas wrote:Hi m.massimo/all,

I'm building a new dac for myself with USB input based on WaveIO module (BuffaloIIISE/p.hynes shunt modules + full P.Hynes power supplies for WaveIO and Buffalo board + high end tube PS powered, lampizator tube output stage). But am wondering if thesycon drivers are fully "MQN friendly" :)? I mean, are you able to play all files succesfully (16/44, 24/44, 24/48, 24/88, 24/96, 26/192) with 3.+ versions? Maybe someone else of thesycon/waveio users might chime in, cause i'm not fully sure if i'm doing right decission choosing WaveIO as my USB input :)?
Thanks guys!
I have WaveIO and recommend it very highly. It is one of, if not the best XMOS-based USB converters beautifully made as a labour of love by 'Lorien'. At Eur99 it is a steal.

Thesycon drivers supplied with it are also regarded as amongst the best available.

I have played 16/44.1 and 24/96 successfully with MQn and believe WaveIO is compatible with all the ones you list, although MQn currently is not.

Hope that helps

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
minionas

Post by minionas »

Thanks Jonathan!
Yes, 24/192 is not yet supported. But i believe it will be in the future, since Mqn turn out into real audiophile player:) sbgk is really gifted to make this far!
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

prefer 3.39 over 3.43
more energy more engaging
lukivision

Post by lukivision »

3.43 and 3.44: app-crash with my win.8.1 :-(

Luki
m.massimo

Post by m.massimo »

minionas wrote:Hi m.massimo/all,
Thanks guys!
WaveIO it's an excellent choice, you can play anything up to 24/192 (32/384 with the latest version). I'm using 2.15 driver from Lucian. It gains a lot in SQ from external power supply, it draws about 400mA. Just for info, my pc is not able to recognize it using a 3m std usb cable, but I don't suggest such a length, it was only a test).
Playing with MQn depends on different versions. Speaking of sse2, the last version that plays everything up to 24/192 on my system is 2.63, after that I cannot play 24/88 and 24/176. The 3.xx versions are specific for 1644 and 2496.