What are you listening two?

markof

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by markof »

I have recently been enjoying albums on the Alpha record label, a relatively recent French imprint, and have found the quality of recording and musicianship to be very high.

This is a typical release for them - lovely sound and a novel, highly researched HIP performance.

Strongly recommended. Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:Image

Something different there Mark.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Seán's favorite: Mahler Symphony # 1 Kubelik/BRSO.

Critics used to dismiss this recording as "rough", "unrefined" and "not from an orchestra with a Mahler tradition." Only Amsterdam, Vienna, New York and Chicago could meet that last criterion. Now it is a certified classic.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán

Post by Seán »

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 2

Christine Schäfer soprano
Michelle DeYoung mezzo soprano
Wiener Singverein
Wiener Philharmoniker
Pierre Boulez conducting.

My poor daughter has her bedroom directly over my music room, she has asked me to stop playing Mahler's Resurrection as she has grown tired of the opening...... LOL!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:Seán's favorite: Mahler Symphony # 1 Kubelik/BRSO.
Spot on Don, I am glad you remembered.
Critics used to dismiss this recording as "rough", "unrefined" and "not from an orchestra with a Mahler tradition." Only Amsterdam, Vienna, New York and Chicago could meet that last criterion. Now it is a certified classic[.
Replace the first word with 'Fools' and you have it right.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: My poor daughter has her bedroom directly over my music room, she has asked me to stop playing Mahler's Resurrection as she has grown tired of the opening...... LOL!
LOL!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart: String Quintets K515 & K516 from this set....

fergus

Post by fergus »

DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Our local orchestra performed the rarely heard yet absolutely wonderful Capriccio sinfonico by Giacomo Puccini. An early work, it is a concise 15 minute, 3 section gem full of drama and incredible melody. Think of Tosca distilled to 15 minutes.

So I dug out this great album of rarely heard Puccini orchestral music, recorded in the 80's and available in many iterations since then. The sound is quite good, Chailly does not enter into a debate whether this is "good Puccini" or not (some of the works including the Capriccio and the earlier and equally charming Preludio sinfonico were from his student days in the Milan Conservatory,) he and the RSO Berlin treat it as if it was gold from the pen of a mature master.

Wonderful.