What are you listening two?

Abminor

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Abminor »

DonKC wrote:Leonard Bernstein died 25 years ago today (October 14, 1990.) I remember hearing the announcement on the local classical music station and they played his compositions and recordings all day. In my opinion, this is one of his finest recordings:

Beethoven String Quartets op. 131 and op.135
Strings of the Vienna Philharmonic
DGG

Both live recordings 131 9/1977, 135 9/1989

Lovely recording but I've never been too sure what the point of playing a string quartet line-by-line by the string section of an orchestra is. Different timbre to be sure, but is it just an exercise in ensemble and control for the conductor? I tend to think a good quartet has more to communicate. On the other hand, I was fascinated to hear this new release on BBC3 CD review last Saturday. No it's not Brahms as you know it, and it's somewhat irreverent of Schoenberg (despite his protests to the contrary), but you do pick up textures and themes anew with an inventive orchestration. Glockenspiels and xylophones included! Must sound great in SACD.
Attachments
cover.jpg
cover.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 559 times
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

This is depressing. One of the greatest singers of the day caught in such poor sound that you might think that she was not at all at Wigmore Hall but in a flat 2 blocks away.

That must be really terrible Pepe!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

It is, a great voice lost in dreadful sound, unbelievable.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Abminor wrote:
DonKC wrote:Leonard Bernstein died 25 years ago today (October 14, 1990.) I remember hearing the announcement on the local classical music station and they played his compositions and recordings all day. In my opinion, this is one of his finest recordings:

DGG

Lovely recording but I've never been too sure what the point of playing a string quartet line-by-line by the string section of an orchestra is. Different timbre to be sure, but is it just an exercise in ensemble and control for the conductor? I tend to think a good quartet has more to communicate. On the other hand, I was fascinated to hear this new release on BBC3 CD review last Saturday. No it's not Brahms as you know it, and it's somewhat irreverent of Schoenberg (despite his protests to the contrary), but you do pick up textures and themes anew with an inventive orchestration. Glockenspiels and xylophones included! Must sound great in SACD.
I am a well known non-lover of Professor Johannes... but the Schoenberg arrangement of the piano quartet is one I do enjoy.. along with the odd but lovely Alto Rhapsody.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

More from the "Martinon: the Late Years" set

Disc 8
Dukas
L'apprenti sorcier
Polyeucte
Symphony in C
Arianne et Barbe-bleue excerpt

Disc 2
Roussel
Symphony # 2
Pour une fete de printemps
Symphony # 3

All with Orchestre National de ORTF

The Roussel is wonderful and good sound. L'apprenti sorcier is lively and witty, not cartoonish at all.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:More from the "Martinon: the Late Years" set

Disc 8
Dukas
L'apprenti sorcier
Polyeucte
Symphony in C
Arianne et Barbe-bleue excerpt

Disc 2
Roussel
Symphony # 2
Pour une fete de printemps
Symphony # 3

All with Orchestre National de ORTF

The Roussel is wonderful and good sound. L'apprenti sorcier is lively and witty, not cartoonish at all.
Now I am interested!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Yesterday evening in preparation for last night's concert in the NCH I listened to

and this morning I wondered how I could possibly listen to a recorded performance of the 'Resurrection' after such a wonderful performance by the RTE NSO and Choir last night so I put this on the Clearaudio Champion LE TT and that did the trick:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 2

Emilia Cundari soprano
Maureen Forrester contralto
Westminster Choir
New York Philharmonic Orchestra
Bruno Walter conductor
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Seán: I should elaborate that the Roussel is in good sound for a live performance from 1969. Did not want you to think this was some demo quality recording! But the performance is a bit more tense and exciting than others I have heard, the quieter moments and 2nd movement are welcome contrasts in mood. All that probably due to the effect of performing it in front of an audience. I am bit of a prejudiced Martinon fan, as you know!

Really enjoying the whole set.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DonKC wrote:
Abminor wrote:

DGG

I am a well known non-lover of Professor Johannes... but the Schoenberg arrangement of the piano quartet is one I do enjoy.. along with the odd but lovely Alto Rhapsody.

You may be interested in reading this old thread Don....

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2991
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

It is a great thread Fergus, well done.

Meanwhile having just finished listening once again to Walter's magnificent Resurrection with the NYPO I have put on the CDP to listen to Abbado and the LCFO, I am in a state of near ecstasy.

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 2

Eteri Gvazava Soprano
Anna Larsson Contralto
Lucerne Festival Orchestra
Claudio Abbado conducting.