MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: MQN

Post by tony »

Thanks Nigel saw them all on the blogspot. Just hadn't refreshed the browser earlier.
Can't test them all tonight! Anything I tried today that worked sounded excellent. Happily live with any of these.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sbgk wrote:just spotted a small optimisation - uploaded 3.39 sse2 bp. seems to have an effect, bass is better, more solidity of sound, more essence of foot tappingness
applying it to all the code gets 3.39 sse2 bp wp - more of everything
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

sbgk wrote: feel the real benefit will be going to kernel streaming as the wasapi code is still about 150 instructions in the render loop, it's surprising my code has any effect. What would optimised kernel streaming code sound like ?
Finally have my audio PC setup and running again with latest Thesycon drivers and Meitner back to its best.
I began by checking out the latest MQN 3.39avx which sounded excellent, I was on 3.14avx for some time and found going to 3.37sse was a big leap forward in sound quality. Need more time during next week to find the best of these 3.39 versions.

Spent most of this evening checking my fresh OS install with drivers using the latest DPC Latency test software and I have the PC OS with 2012 Server Essentials Minimal Server mode with Audiophils Optimiser running at rest at about 2us Latency.
Firing up MQN using MQNLoad with Tasker and Aleg's batch file with a few mods I then get 2.39avx running steady between 3us and 17us during flac to wav conversion and track playback which looks good.

I then installed JPlay and ran the same track and JPlay kicks latency up to 500us most of the time it is running.
When I shut down JPlay and fire up MQN again I then see 500us during playback, I then shut down the JPlay service and still MQN kicks up to 500us regularly during playback.
Tried everything but this 500us steady latency seems to be set in the system no matter how I try and get it down.

I then uninstalled JPlay and everything goes back to normal and MQN runs at about 3 to 17us again during playback.

The point of my ramblings above is that it would be interesting to see how good you could get Kernel Streaming working Gordon using what you have learned so far and given latency appears to well in control with MQN running as it is :-))
Cheers,
Pearse.

Post by nige2000 »

the prefnta ones were unimpressive
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:the prefnta ones were unimpressive
agree, just another way of preloading the data, wanted to see how the current method compared with prefetchnta which is the recommended way.

3.39 bp wp is the one to try, most enjoyable
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Gents to side step quickly...... If I may...

With such rapid development of the MQN player, has anyone completed an A/B comparison of standard installations of Windows Server 2012 V's Windows 8/8.1 when utilising MQN as the rendering engine? forget about optimisers for a second... If so which is the ideal stock OS platform in your experience?

Reading through posts, its obvious their are numerous user OS configurations in play when providing subjective MQN revision feedback.
I.e. reg tweaks, MMCSS tweaks, pro audio tweaks, etc. As such I would assume members have already been down this path with MQN, so I need not repeat past mistakes.

Additionally, are there any "majority agreed" non permanent tweaks which are recommended for Windows 8.1 while running MQN??
My PC is currently running a relatively fresh installation of 8.1.....

Please note.... my PC is also used for XBMC media playback, so MMCSS tweaks if any need to be easily deactivated/isolated....
I am also not a big believer that the road to good audio is via Reg tweaks (previous experience with cmp cplay, etc)......
I'm looking more for pro audio style tweaks that the majority of MQN listeners believe = better audio.... thoughts?

Obviously I can google pro audio tweaks....etc.. (Which I already have a lot of info/experience with) but I am looking for tweaks which are synergistic with MQN. Thoughts? Pointers?
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

2012 and 8 are the same thing.
some major differences in registry makes people believe that they are different.
also the amount of junks defines their noise levels. (2012 is noisier in my opinion)

for example,
am using the new "8.1 with update" iso
it has LargeSystemCache=0,
and with 2012, LargeSystemCache is 1

also,
DisableExceptionChainValidation doesn't exist in 8.1
but DisableExceptionChainValidation=0 in 2012

all these affect how memory is managed in windows

i believe 8 setting is the correct setting for audio.
think sbgk uses 8, so, people better switch to the same settings if they are using R2/2012
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

I'm only using 8.1 because it's easier to develop on. If I could be bothered I would take out the hdd and replace it with an ssd and have 8.1/ws2012 r2 partitions.

I have no doubt that ws2012 r2 sounds more stable and quieter than 8.1, but 8.1 + mqn sounds good enough at the moment.
Clive

Post by Clive »

JC, you've been suggesting VS2012 to help with W8.1 "home" elevation problems. I've looked for downloads, is this what I should be trying:

Express 2013 for Windows Desktop
Visual Studio Express for Windows Desktop lets you take full advantage of Windows with XAML designers, a productive IDE, and a variety of programming languages including C#, Visual Basic, and C++. Choose between Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Forms, and Win32, to target the Windows desktop with the right technology for your application and your skills.

Other options are:
Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web
Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows

Thanks,

Clive
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

clive, my post is outdated. has incorrect information.

try vs2013pro
and uninstall the junk exactly as it is in the screensthot:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_72b3301c0100q2b2.html

e.g. uninstall more than needed e.g. .net framework will decrease SQ.
works for 7,8,R2,2012,8.1.

yes, this tweaks originates from pkshan

EDIT
before you install vs2013pro, uninstall all C++ redistributable first, otherwise, this tweak is worthless.

EDIT2
because overwrite existing C++ redistributable with another copy will decrease SQ.