MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

taggart wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:
Aleg wrote:
If you use SysInternals ProcesMonitor you can see that Clock Rate is not read again after it has been set by mqncontrol!
Would one not expect to see the Clock Rate being read from registry just like it is when mmcss is started?
There is so little documented about how this actually is done by Windows.

When mmcss is started you can see that svchost is reading clock rate from registry.
When mqncontrol is run you can see clock rate is being changed in registry, but it doesn't seem to be read again.

-

Aleg
you got me interested. you can detect change in sound during playback.

i guess, svchost has a pointer to the memory to the registry.
JC,
a pointer to a dedicated value of registry, are you sure? I don't know any technique to do this. It's a database. Even if complete registry is loaded into RAM, how can you get the correct memory address of exactly this value?
makes no sense for mmcss to constantly polling for changes in registry.
either it has access to pointer, or
it got a handle that it can be notified by registry e.g. RegNotifyChangeKeyValue.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Hate to be a bother, but I'm still on 2.71 and haven't been following the thread very well at all, mostly due to the (assumed) lack of Win7 usability with the newer versions. Anyone have any speculation on what might work with Win7, or any Win7 users having any luck? Bout ready to give up the ghost and upgrade, but not hanging on to my very tweaked Win7 install is proving to be difficult.

Also, can someone clear up a bit of confusion re: what essential files are needed now? There's mqnplay, mqncontrol, but also... tasker? And mqnload is not playing well with some of the newer versions, or it is, or something? Sorry, if you can't tell, I'm lost.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

i actually think win7 treble > 8/8.1
if not because that stupid digital sound by win7 Aero...
8/8.1 bass > win7. (never really enjoyed bass in win7)

so, yes, move to 8/8.1 hehehe
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

internethandle, there is a thing call winreducer
it strips win8/8.1 iso

could be fun. stripping is much bigger project than tweaking. need dedication and free time.

so far i only stripped my 8/2012 "legally". i.e. nothing MS doesn't recommend.
sounds is 5-10% better. mainly less noisy.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

3.39 avx also crackles with me.
3.40 sse is good, even though it has more body, its bass remains wel controled. Would like to compare with the details and timing of an avx
Last edited by Aleg on Sun May 11, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

internethandle wrote:Hate to be a bother, but I'm still on 2.71 and haven't been following the thread very well at all, mostly due to the (assumed) lack of Win7 usability with the newer versions. Anyone have any speculation on what might work with Win7, or any Win7 users having any luck? Bout ready to give up the ghost and upgrade, but not hanging on to my very tweaked Win7 install is proving to be difficult.

Also, can someone clear up a bit of confusion re: what essential files are needed now? There's mqnplay, mqncontrol, but also... tasker? And mqnload is not playing well with some of the newer versions, or it is, or something? Sorry, if you can't tell, I'm lost.
Internethandle

AFAIK mqn stil requires Windows 8.1 or Server2012R2 because of the instructions that are used. Maybe Gordon can chime in if that is no longer the case.

Required files are still the same as ever, you need to have the right combinTion of control and play though.

Tasker is not required but is a helpful tool if you would like to change the cpu affinity and proces priority on fly when starting mqn. This has a positive effect on SQ, but is not required.

Best is to make the step to Windows 8.1 and then the Pro version if you don't want to be limited in what you can configure or not.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote: AFAIK mqn stil requires Windows 8.1 or Server2012R2 because of the instructions that are used. Maybe Gordon can chime in if that is no longer the case.
or you could windows update win8. eventually, all versions of mqn will work

win8.1 sounds more correct than win8.
from my experience, win8 has one minor issue. seems like singers caught a cold. somewhere around the mid has too much energy.
win8.1 vocal is more solid, clear
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

3.39sse > 3.37sse. 3.37 has a little excess
3.39avx crackles

3.40sse hmm... think 3.39sse better

EDIT
sounds like 3.39 is best of all versions.
ultra high resolution + great musicality.
jitter level is as low as it can. no obvious issue at all.
tony

Post by tony »

jesuscheung wrote:3.39sse > 3.37sse. 3.37 has a little excess
3.39avx crackles

3.40sse hmm... think 3.39sse better

EDIT
sounds like 3.39 is best of all versions.
ultra high resolution + great musicality.
jitter level is as low as it can. no obvious issue at all.
Splitting hairs at this point but agree 3.39sse2 is excellent seems to have everything. the avx don't work as others have posted.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:JC, there's an interesting debate about mmcss settings and whether they change only at mmcss service start, I think they do, but I'm sure we've all thought there was a sound difference after changing them via regedit without restart.

the solution seems to be to have a proaudio setting for each bitrate sample rate combo eg pa1644 etc
actually, now you remind me of sample rate....

for playing say 96khz
if you change clockrate, you have to change my DAC to 96khz too

my DAC is set to 44100. it doesn't switch sample rate by itself.

EDIT
i also use reclock software. that is set to 44100 too... sh*t...
a lot of things need changing for playing hires