What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:
Seán wrote:Veracini is not familiar to me either Mark to be honest.

Well now this music is very familiar to me.

Johannes Brahms
Symphony No. 2

Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich
David Zinman conducting.
Hi Seán, I just listened to another album of violin sonatas and I am impressed.

I'll get back to you for Brahms recommendations at a later date if that's ok.

Regards, Mark
Hi Mark, yes of course, any time. it is an excellent box set. Fergus admires Zinman's work so I took the plunge and bought the box set earlier this year. Zinman's Mahler is a bit weak but the rest of the box set definitely makes up for that. Strongly recommended.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Berwald
Symphony No. 1

Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra
Thomas Dausgaard conducting.

This is lovely music and is performed very well here by the DNRSO. I like this music very much indeed and when I bought it back in 2009 I used to regularly listen to it. I am sitting here scratching my head getting splinters wondering why I haven't listened to it for such a very long time. There are so many other records in my collection competing for my attention I have overlooked it until now I suppose. Very enjoyable.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Franz Berwald
Symphony No. 1

This is lovely music and is performed very well here by the DNRSO. I like this music very much indeed and when I bought it back in 2009 I used to regularly listen to it. I am sitting here scratching my head getting splinters wondering why I haven't listened to it for such a very long time. There are so many other records in my collection competing for my attention I have overlooked it until now I suppose. Very enjoyable.
I bought that set on your recommendation Seán and I would also give it my recommendation.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: Franz Berwald
Symphony No. 1

I bought that set on your recommendation Seán and I would also give it my recommendation.
Thanks Fergus, I have the First Symphony on repeat play.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Passionate, invigorating and exciting music that is well played here.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Do you know this recording Fergus? A very nice piano concerto, very enjoyable, and played on period instruments!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

The prettiest girl in Classical Music can also sing. Olga Peretyatko gets better and better, and she is a smart lady too. She had the good sense of doing this recital with Rossini scholar Alberto Zedda from the Pesaro Foundation, and his expert advise is immediately evident: the Russian girl sounds as if she was born in Naples, throughly at one with her conductor, and mistress of the very difficult Rossini style.
We do get the Barbiere aria "Una voce poco fa", but the rest of the arias are intelligently chosen to fit Peretyatko´s voice. The big scene of Countess Folleville from Il Viaggio a Reims has not been better done since Lella Cuberli sang it under Abbado 30 years ago. Great music making, there are a lot of beautiful people in Classical Music these days, but few, very few are genuinely talented. Peretyatko is one.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Do you know this recording Fergus? A very nice piano concerto, very enjoyable, and played on period instruments!
I do not know that one Pepe; thank you for the recommendation.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Image

Rousset and Les Talens Lyriques will play in Guanajuato on October 23 and 25 a program of Farinelli arias with the magnificent mezzo Ann Hallenberg. Guess who has tickets?