What are you listening two?

markof

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by markof »

A recent album from Jordi Savall et al. of works by Biber and includes a 2015 performance of the "Missa Salisburgensis à 53 voci".

To quote
"The 'Missa Salisburgensis à 53 voci' (in comparison, 'Spem in alium' was written by Thomas Tallis for «only» 40 voices) is perhaps the largest-scale piece of extant sacred Baroque music, an archetypical work of the Colossal Baroque. It is a polychoral composition which takes advantage of the multiple organs and various locations available for groups of singers and musicians to perform in Salzburg Cathedral, probably for the 1682 celebrations marking the 1100th anniversary of the founding of the Archbishopric of Salzburg."

This is a powerful and complex recording full of atmosphere and weight and is well worth listening to.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Do you have any other recording Mark? I already have several, the oldest with the Tölzer Knabenchor, and the 2 more recent ones with the Gabrieli Consort and McCreesh and my favorite with Ton Koopman in ERATO. I wonder if the Savall offers something truly exceptional to add to my collection.
markof

Post by markof »

Jose Echenique wrote:Do you have any other recording Mark? I already have several, the oldest with the Tölzer Knabenchor, and the 2 more recent ones with the Gabrieli Consort and McCreesh and my favorite with Ton Koopman in ERATO. I wonder if the Savall offers something truly exceptional to add to my collection.
I have previously heard only the McCreesh with Music Antiqua Koln/ Gabrieli Consort.
In comparison with this, the Savall performance is sweeter, more subtle and less strident and taken at a slightly slower tempo - a more laid-back sounding performance overall.
I like both though and will see if I can find the Koopman album.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 4

Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich
David Zinman conducting.

This is a cracking good performance.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

markof wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Do you have any other recording Mark? I already have several, the oldest with the Tölzer Knabenchor, and the 2 more recent ones with the Gabrieli Consort and McCreesh and my favorite with Ton Koopman in ERATO. I wonder if the Savall offers something truly exceptional to add to my collection.
I have previously heard only the McCreesh with Music Antiqua Koln/ Gabrieli Consort.
In comparison with this, the Savall performance is sweeter, more subtle and less strident and taken at a slightly slower tempo - a more laid-back sounding performance overall.
I like both though and will see if I can find the Koopman album.

Mark

Thanks Mark, your description of the Savall also fits the Koopman. I love the Missa Salisburgensis, but maybe 4 recordings are enough, I also have another fine version with La Stagione Armonica.
markof

Post by markof »

Listening to this lovely collection of violin sonatas from what is a little known composer to me.

Mark
Seán

Post by Seán »

Veracini is not familiar to me either Mark to be honest.

Well now this music is very familiar to me.

Johannes Brahms
Symphony No. 2

David Zinman conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:Image

Listening to this lovely collection of violin sonatas from what is a little known composer to me.

Mark

You may like to try this one Mark....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
markof

Post by markof »

fergus wrote:

You may like to try this one Mark....

Will certainly try it out Fergus.

In the meantime, followed up with this gem (great cover too).

Mark
markof

Post by markof »

Seán wrote:Veracini is not familiar to me either Mark to be honest.

Well now this music is very familiar to me.

Johannes Brahms
Symphony No. 2

David Zinman conducting.
Hi Seán, I just listened to another album of violin sonatas and I am impressed.

I'll get back to you for Brahms recommendations at a later date if that's ok.

Regards, Mark