MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
madman6000

Re: batch file doesn't work

Post by madman6000 »

Hi one of our resident experts should confirm but I think Win7 is your problem. Windows 8 or 2012R2 is the requirement but I am sure one of the lads will confirm that. Gordon might advise which early version would work on Windows7 so you can at least have a taster and then decide if MQn is worth pursuing.
I've gone to windows 8.1 now, still can't get any sound out of my DAC with either sse2 or avx.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

madman6000 wrote:
Hi one of our resident experts should confirm but I think Win7 is your problem. Windows 8 or 2012R2 is the requirement but I am sure one of the lads will confirm that. Gordon might advise which early version would work on Windows7 so you can at least have a taster and then decide if MQn is worth pursuing.
I've gone to windows 8.1 now, still can't get any sound out of my DAC with either sse2 or avx.
try playpcmwin player and report back which settings work
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

sbgk wrote:3.33 slight tweak, seems a good balance
uploaded 24/96 version of 3.33, sounds pretty exceptional to me.
madman6000

Post by madman6000 »

sbgk wrote:
madman6000 wrote:
My DAC is output device 2 and playpcmwin works when I select that device, here's the log output:

PlayPcmWin 4.0.72.0 64bit
wasapi.Init() 00000000
wasapi.DoDeviceEnumeration(Play) 00000000
wasapi.ChooseDevice(SPDIF Interface (YOUNG 1.0.3 Usb to Spdif ( 44.1 Khz - 384 Khz ))) 00000000
wasapi.Setup(PCM 44.1kHz Sint16 2ch ProAudio Exclusive EventDriven latency=170ms zeroFlush=500ms timePeriod=1ms) 00000000
Endpoint buffer size = 7497 frames.
Read playgroup 0 completed. Elapsed time: 127ms
wasapi.StartPlayback(0) 00000000
madman6000

Post by madman6000 »

sbgk wrote:
OK got sse2 working by selecting the dac as the default sound device. My CPU is i5-2430M should this work with avx because it doesn't seem to. The processor seems to have avx instruction support but not avx2. I wasn't able to determine from this thread which is required.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

madman6000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:
OK got sse2 working by selecting the dac as the default sound device. My CPU is i5-2430M should this work with avx because it doesn't seem to. The processor seems to have avx instruction support but not avx2. I wasn't able to determine from this thread which is required.
Hi Mad

This is a requirement for using WASAPI. You need to select the DAC-driver as default audio device in the Control Panel / Sound / Manage audio devices. This selected device is then the device that will be used for speaking to WASAPI-drivers.
It is a bit of implicit knowledge as it has been mentioned often in the beginning, but for new-comers it may not be that clear.

I don't think we are still using avx2, my impression is that sbgk is using regular avx extensions.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
m.massimo

Re: MQN

Post by m.massimo »

Listened to the last sse2 versions up to 3.30, they are really interesting. I play them with control 512 and 448 clockrate and I'm very satisfied. Better than my previous reference (sse2 2.85+1.6).
Music flows easily, detailed and focused and with perfect timing. The only aspect that is not completely good for me is the low end: with some tracks seems to be too strong and should be tighter (control 1024 better than control 512, but the overall sound is too analytical with the former). Voices are gorgeous.
My preferred version up to now is 3.26 sub + 512.
All the previous notes are obviously subjective and relative to my specific audio system.
Tasker affinity, RT normal (I'm not able to change it), clockrate 448 and latest mqnload.
Not listened 3.33 yet.
Last edited by m.massimo on Thu May 08, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive

Post by Clive »

madman6000 wrote: OK got sse2 working by selecting the dac as the default sound device. My CPU is i5-2430M should this work with avx because it doesn't seem to. The processor seems to have avx instruction support but not avx2. I wasn't able to determine from this thread which is required.
Hi Madman (Adam?), which edition of 8.1 do you have? Mine is just 8.1 (used to be be Home under W7. It seems Pro and Enterprise have a different and more reliable way to run in elevated mode. My i5 is an Ivy Bridge and only support AVX, not AVX2 and it works...mostly! I just put 3.33 SSE2 on today which didn't work at first. I had to reset EnableLUA in the registry. This was after running 3.27 AVX all day yesterday (including a couple of reboots) without one problem. If I change a file in the mqn directory it leaves me with a non-working mqn. It's some Windows peculiarity with admin files IMO. BTW you should try Aleg's Tasker, it makes a big difference and is not harder to get running and in some ways it's easier.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Clive wrote:
madman6000 wrote: OK got sse2 working by selecting the dac as the default sound device. My CPU is i5-2430M should this work with avx because it doesn't seem to. The processor seems to have avx instruction support but not avx2. I wasn't able to determine from this thread which is required.
Hi Madman (Adam?), which edition of 8.1 do you have? Mine is just 8.1 (used to be be Home under W7. It seems Pro and Enterprise have a different and more reliable way to run in elevated mode. My i5 is an Ivy Bridge and only support AVX, not AVX2 and it works...mostly! I just put 3.33 SSE2 on today which didn't work at first. I had to reset EnableLUA in the registry. This was after running 3.27 AVX all day yesterday (including a couple of reboots) without one problem. If I change a file in the mqn directory it leaves me with a non-working mqn. It's some Windows peculiarity with admin files IMO. BTW you should try Aleg's Tasker, it makes a big difference and is not harder to get running and in some ways it's easier.
lol... clive you are giving me a headache. "couple of reboots" and "without one problem". you were able a play and you weren't.
Clive

Post by Clive »

jesuscheung wrote:
lol... clive you are giving me a headache. "couple of reboots" and "without one problem". you were able a play and you weren't.
And it's all gone wrong again! Even with the dac unplugged I don't get music through the laptop speakers. I played the 3rd album today and it stopped working. I've tried resetting EnableLUA, tried a few reboots. It can't be processes still running as a I checked and rebooted!

Update: several reboots later sometimes with toggling EnableLUA - I have it working. This was after toggling EnableLUA one more time.
Last edited by Clive on Thu May 08, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.