What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

Symphony 7

A very impressive performance.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I got this recently as a result of hearing the Radio 3 "Building a Library" on Tchaikovsky's "The Seasons".

It's the oldest (1947) available recording, but it struck me as being full of poetry in a way the others were not. The sound quality isn't as bad as you might fear, and having listened to the whole performance now I'm glad I got it. Wonderful, and something I'd never have found on my own!

Konstantin Igumnov - The Igumnov School
  • Chopin: Mazurka No. 33 in B major, Op. 56 No. 1 (recorded in Moscow in 1935)
  • Schumann: Kreisleriana, Op. 16 (recorded in Moscow in 1941)
  • Scriabin: Poème in F sharp major, Op. 32 No. 1 (recorded in Moscow in 1935)
  • Tchaikovsky: The Seasons, Op. 37b (recorded in Moscow in 1947)
Konstantin Igumnov (piano)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schumann - Symphony in Dm [No. 4]....

Two versions are offered in this box set: the first is a light, airy symphony....the original version written in 1841. The second version comes from a revision made 10 years later. The revision largely comprises changes in orchestration which became thicker, more solid and of a more grand scale. I am not sure which one I prefer; both are wonderfully played. Version 1 is lighter and more clearly textured while version 2 is quite a powerful work in its own right.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

this week, I have mainly been digesting the following box sets:

Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:this week, I have mainly been digesting the following box sets:

Yes Jared that is a very good set. If you like Nielsen and you don't already have the Blomstedt/SFSO symphony cycle you might want to consider getting it, it's terrific. The Kuchar complete cycle on Brilliant Classics is well worth getting too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schubert – Symphonies 5 & 6 (Bruggen)....

The lyrical quality of both nos, 5 & 6 are really brought out in these performances....the music is fresh and alive.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Some lovely Hungarian folk elements in this music. If you like Brahm's Hungarian Dances, Kodaly's music is worth checking out. (The 'ly' in Kodaly is pronounced like an 'i' in case anyone's interested :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: Yes Jared that is a very good set. If you like Nielsen and you don't already have the Blomstedt/SFSO symphony cycle you might want to consider getting it, it's terrific. The Kuchar complete cycle on Brilliant Classics is well worth getting too.
Sean, I also have the Jarvi set on DG...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Canteloube – Chants D’Auvergne, sung by Veronique Gens....

There is a big sound on this CD; bold and self-assured but carried off with aplomb. These wonderful songs are sung with great relish by a singer with a wonderful voice.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart – Piano Trios K496/K542....

This is one of the older discs in my collection which I play from time to time. I really like the fortepiano in this type of music and setting.