What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

james wrote: I have the Kitajenko cycle and the Kondrashin cycle both of which are excellent. I would probably prefer the Kondrashin cycle but its more expensive. Naxos has a recent cycle with Petrenko.
I have not heard it but that Petrenko cycle certainly does get a lot of good press.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
TBH Seán I would be neutral on Haskil's playing/interpretation. That recording has been in my collection for a few years now and rarely gets played. I never persued any more recordings after that one. I thought that her playing was technically competent but not very expressive - almost mechanical - for Mozart, particularly in the slow movements. For me it lacked a fluidity that is a pre-requisite in this music. Do not misinterpret, the playing was not in any way bad; just not to my taste
Thanks Fergus. I have several recordings of Haskil's playing Mozart's concertos with Fricsay, Markevitch et al and really like them. I must revisit those performances in light of your feelings about them.

I love Haskil's playing whether it be Mozart, Beethoven, etc; her Beethoven cycle with Grumiaux is a treat.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Thanks Fergus. I have several recordings of Haskil's playing Mozart's concertos with Fricsay, Markevitch et al and really like them. I must revisit those performances in light of your feelings about them.

I love Haskil's playing whether it be Mozart, Beethoven, etc; her Beethoven cycle with Grumiaux is a treat.
Ishould also have pointed out Sean that I have not heard her playing any other music other than those two concertos. I may therefore be a bit unfair or unkind here or simply not heard enough of her playing.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart: Violin Concertos 1, 2 & 5 / Mutter....

Seán

Post by Seán »

I think that Fergus and I can agree on this marvellous performance:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Piano Concerto No. 27

English Chamber Orchestra
Murray Perahia - Piano and conducting
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:I think that Fergus and I can agree on this marvellous performance:

Therein lies my problem Seán; I find it difficult to get past that set!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Here is another FABULOUS set:

Luigi Boccherini
Piano Quintet No. 1 in E minor

Quatuor Mosaïques
Patrick Cohen - Pianoforte
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
String Quartet No. 7 in F major, op. 59 no. 1

Végh Quartet
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Ludwig van Beethoven
String Quartet No. 7 in F major, op. 59 no. 1

Végh Quartet
I have the Végh complete cycle Seán and it is a wonderful one. Have you enjoyed those four performances?
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Petrenko's Shostakovich cycle has garnered lots of good reviews. I have heard most of it and find 4, 11, 13, 14 and 15 certainly among the better recordings out there, the 13th is outstanding.

I have been in a Vivaldi and Mozart mood. Just did the Mozart Missa Brevis K220 with my church choir and it was fun and well received. So I had been listening to it and other Mozart sacred music.

So I come here to find something different to listen to... and you all never fail to inspire me..

Thus some Kondrashin Shostakovich is in order... probably start with # 1.