What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

Wonderful!!
Sometimes one may make a recommendation and then wonder if the performance will receive wide acceptance. I'd never hesitate on that one.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Shostakovich: String Quartets Nos. 14 & 15....

....two magnificent works. Two of my favourite string quartets by any composer, especially no. 14. No. 15 is very dark and brooding but still wonderful.
Oh dear! I don't have either of them The Borodin only runs as far as the 13th

Try to get a listen to No. 14 on Youtube Seán if you can.
Yes I will.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

JS Bach: Goldberg Variations / Tureck....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I am beginning my informal perusal of Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 with the Hickox version....

fergus

Post by fergus »

This is music with real substance and style. It is wonderfully played with the ensemble bringing out the rhythmic strength of the works making them almost dance like.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I am beginning my informal perusal of Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 with the Hickox version....

I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on my favourite Beethoven symphony.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Luigi Marchesi was perhaps the last of the truly great castrati. He dominated the opera houses of Europe between the late XVIII and the early XIX centuries. He was said to be good looking and very charming, and people just loved him like a matinee idol. He also had what was praised as a miraculous voice, deep contralto notes at the bottom and a shining, brilliant, spectacular top.
No wonder it would be difficult to find a male or female singer who could do justice to his music, but if anyone can these days, it surely is Swedish mezzo Ann Hallenberg. We are mostly used to hearing castrato music of the first half of the XVIII Century, with baroque orchestras, the fascinating thing here is to hear the castrato over the larger and more challenging Classical orchestra.
Hallenberg triumphs over everything thrown at her, with grace and formidable vocal security. The augmented ensemble Stile Galante plays with utmost refinement, the amazing natural horns are a delight.
Luigi Marchesi earned a lot of money during his lifetime, and he left most of it to a public hospital in his hometown that is still open and now carries his name. The Luigi Marchesi Foundation supported this recording.
Seán

Post by Seán »

That is a lovely informative review Pepe, thank you.
Seán

Post by Seán »

At long last I have some lovely relaxing time to enjoy the important things in life:

Mauro Giuliani
Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra No. 1 in A major, op. 30

Claudio Maccari - Guitar
Ensemble Ottocento
Andrea Rognoni leader.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:At long last I have some lovely relaxing time to enjoy the important things in life:

Mauro Giuliani
Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra No. 1 in A major, op. 30

Claudio Maccari - Guitar
Ensemble Ottocento
Andrea Rognoni leader.

I have that set Seán but have not listened to it in a long time. I do remember that the guitar playing was quite good indeed.