Recent Purchases

Ciaran

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Ciaran »

Forum post # 7000!

This early fifties Beethoven Sonata cycle has been winning golden opinions and sounded very good in a snippet on Radio 3.

After the Missa Bruxellensis, I had to have this!

I've been collecting René Jacobs's Mozart operas, so I'm looking forward to hearing his Così.

Another Kubelik Mahler 1. very cheap with the Audite catalogue!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Those look like some wonderful additions to your collection Ciaran....I would be particularly attracted to the Biber!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq

Post by mcq »

Ciaran wrote:Forum post # 7000!

This early fifties Beethoven Sonata cycle has been winning golden opinions and sounded very good in a snippet on Radio 3.

After the Missa Bruxellensis, I had to have this!

I've been collecting René Jacobs's Mozart operas, so I'm looking forward to hearing his Così.

Another Kubelik Mahler 1. very cheap with the Audite catalogue!

That Missa Salisburgensis (as well as Savall's Missa Bruxellensis) really is a wonderful experience, Ciaran. Do look out as well for Andrew Manze's fine version of Missa Christi Resurgentis (Harmonia Mundi) - which is the best thing he's done as a conductor, Junghanel's exceptional reading of the Litaniae de Sancto Josepho (Harmonia Mundi) and McCreesh's fabulous version of the Requiem (DG Archv).
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

....the penultimate offering.
Seán

Post by Seán »

"The Seventh has tremendous reserves of expressive power and the rhythmic attack is of galvanizing intensity to a degree remarkable even for Toscanini. The orchestra was an instrument capable of optimum flexibility and virtuosity. It is a remarkable document. "
Jonathan Woolf - MusicWeb
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:Image
I bought a (different) cheap n' cheerful Buxtehude set played by this guy and it was dire. Hope this one's better!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:I bought a (different) cheap n' cheerful Buxtehude set played by this guy and it was dire. Hope this one's better!!
I certainly hope so too!!!
What exactly was the problem Si? Poor technical playing? Bad sound?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Bad sound certainly (it sounded like it was transferred from some 78s or something), but the real problem was dull performance, lacking any stylistic touches at all, just pedestrian playing.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2