Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Vivaldi: Four Seasons played by the Chamber Orchestra of Europe/Marieke Blankestijn....

This is a very fine Four Seasons.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Symphony No. 3.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Very impressive but I'd have a slight preference for the Hogwood version which itself still remains my favorite.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Disc3: Concerto for 3 violins in F major.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

These are two wonderful Masses in the style of Haydn and Mozart. They do have their devotional moments but they are also full of vitality and joy....lots of celebration in there! They are also well played and sung....well worth a listen.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image

These are two wonderful Masses in the style of Haydn and Mozart. They do have their devotional moments but they are also full of vitality and joy....lots of celebration in there! They are also well played and sung....well worth a listen.
thanks for that, Fergus... intruiging...
Jared

Post by Jared »

over the past week, I have been listening to two versions/ varaitions of Grieg's Lyric Pieces:

whilst they are both wonderful, top notch performances, they are in fact quite different from each other to the point that you'd at times think they were completely different pieces of music.. of course, they are both programmes, arranged around the works, and so contain slightly different material, in a different order.... imho, both should be indispensible..
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jared wrote:over the past week, I have been listening to two versions/ variations of Grieg's Lyric Pieces:

whilst they are both wonderful, top notch performances, they are in fact quite different from each other to the point that you'd at times think they were completely different pieces of music.. of course, they are both programmes, arranged around the works, and so contain slightly different material, in a different order.... They are also stylistically different; Gilels being smoother and more reflective in style, whereas Andsnes attacks the work with panache.. imho, both are indispensible interpretations..
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote:Image

Very impressive but I'd have a slight preference for the Hogwood version which itself still remains my favorite.
Personally Dave, I absolutely love that version... in fact, I recently put the Karl Bohm version on ebay, because the more traditional style with larger forces and slightly overblown, muddy sound, just dopesn't speak to me of Mozart any longer... I may indeed be in the market for another Requiem sometime soon, but it will be a slightly more authentic performance..