vintage hifi

Ivor

Re: vintage hifi

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: I'm a bit sorry I didn't put it in a bigger case. That would have allowed greater separation between transformers and circuit etc etc.

Fran
I have a bigger case for ye. It should be suitable. If it's not too late
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

All donations gratefully received....

See you Sunday?
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I'd say I will now alright. ;)

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
barry robin

Post by barry robin »

ivor to the resue! good man!

and if nothing else, putting it into a larger chassis will let you place the valves and front switches symmetricaly right down the middle. i'm afraid that when it comes to audio gear, i'm one of those anal-retentive symmetrical types...
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well, the new gear for the ST-70 arrived yesterday and all looks well. I intend having a go at it over the weekend and hopefully it will run OK first time around.

I'll take a few pics if I can think if it!

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I got the rebuild finished this morning and hooked it up to the test system in the workshop. Thankfully no smoke ensued!! Anyway, here are a few pics..... listening reports to follow in a while, but already I think I'll be happy with this one for a while.
Attachments
IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg (133.81 KiB) Viewed 746 times
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1112.jpg (184.61 KiB) Viewed 746 times
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg (179.41 KiB) Viewed 746 times
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg (216.52 KiB) Viewed 746 times
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Great work Fran!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

That's feckin' gorgeous.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Very impressive as usual Fran!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

She scrubbed up well although there is a good bit of pitting on the Chrome - mostly that will be hidden by the cage in normal use though. The cage was originally brown but I couldn't find the right colour so decided to play it safe and went with black. Bias is very stable and she is dead quiet, no hum etc.

Sound is very smooth but yet has plenty of dynamic stomp. I've only tried the 16 ohm taps so far - a subject for more experimentation. I also wired in some switches to allow me to run it in triode mode, again yet to be tried out (only verified that it was working so far). Plenty of gain in it too so I'm using it with the pass buffer at the moment.

Fran