cables

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
HiFiFan

Re: cables

Post by HiFiFan »

Thanks DaveF. I have read that to be reviewed in one high profile hi-fi magazine you have to have advertised for 6 consecutive months at least before the review. Good to read your comments.

That said a friend of mine over the weekend just replaced all his interconnects and possibly speaker cable (I know he did that recently) and he can’t believe how big an improvement he is getting. I haven’t heard his systems since the cable changes.

I must stop reading/posting to this thread – I am driving myself crazy.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

My first post on Tir Na HiFi. I wondered what happened when the Cloney Forum collapsed. I have to say I really missed it and I was blown away when I happened on the forum today. Great name for the site. Hows Rats and the Crofts?

Anyway re: cables could Dave F pm me the name of the company. I have an idea I think and I feel I am going to be feeling stupid. Arrrgh!!!!!

I'm disgusted I missed an opportunity to hear and see Frans system, it looks Mega.

By the way if cables are controversial, what about supertweeters?
cybot

Post by cybot »

PeterK wrote:My first post on Tir Na HiFi. I wondered what happened when the Cloney Forum collapsed. I have to say I really missed it and I was blown away when I happened on the forum today. Great name for the site. Hows Rats and the Crofts?

Anyway re: cables could Dave F pm me the name of the company. I have an idea I think and I feel I am going to be feeling stupid. Arrrgh!!!!!

I'm disgusted I missed an opportunity to hear and see Frans system, it looks Mega.

By the way if cables are controversial, what about supertweeters?
Rats and the Crofts are doing just fine :-) Welcome back.....again :-)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

PeterK - great to have you back. We did a big trawl trying to catch everyone from the old forum but obviously missed a few!! Welcome on board!! In what may be a topical item can I say post early and often!!!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Thrilled to be here. Brilliant job on the site. Love the reviews and other added features. Wow, some place and facelift.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just reading the current edition of Hi Fi World and the letter of the month is about......cable sound!!! Here's a snippet:

"The notion that the electrical energy conveyed to the load is carried not in the conductor, but in it's surrounding dielectric was a revelation to me.I thought all this was in the realms of r.f. theory not relevant to audio frequency or d.c."
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

PeterK wrote:Thrilled to be here. Brilliant job on the site. Love the reviews and other added features. Wow, some place and facelift.
Welcome back PK. Glad you found us!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

PeterK wrote:My first post on Tir Na HiFi. I wondered what happened when the Cloney Forum collapsed. I have to say I really missed it and I was blown away when I happened on the forum today....
Welcome back Peter....I hope that you settle in quickly and join in often!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Already enjoying myself here.
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Using the cable company (thecableco.com) lending library I have now gone through a number of different cables spanning a reasonable price range. These cables have had some very different designs.

I have tried QED XT350, DH Labs Q10 signature, Nordost Frey, Purist Audio Design Aqueous, Cardas Gold Reference and Audience AU24 e. There are other manufacturers I would have liked to try but were not in the library catalog.

All in all from this I can say that from my recent experiences cables do make a marked difference, more than I thought they would. In a number of cases this marked difference was negative for me even though the cables have received rave reviews (perhaps it is really all about synergy). Where I was able to read reviews I found I could relate to some elements of the review but certainly not all.

I now firmly believe that upgrading to the right cable will be an improvement. I also believe you can’t trust cable reviews you need to have them in your system and a lot of it has to do with what sound you prefer. For years I didn’t believe in paying much for cables and would still rather not but I am now a believer in that they are a necessary evil to get the most out of a system

Had some AB listening time with friends this weekend and have gone ahead with an order for Purist Audio Design Venustas
Venustas.JPG
Venustas.JPG (12.04 KiB) Viewed 959 times
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2