Hifi plans for 2021?

Cyndale

Re: Hifi plans for 2021?

Post by Cyndale »

Mark wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:18 pm Interesting post folks!

2017-2020 were a fairly music free years for me, I didn't end up using my hifi due to life getting in the way and eventually ended up putting it away when we decided to renovate slightly.

I decided to start 2021 but setting up the below:
Linn Sondek LP12
Meridian 800v4 reference CD
Meridian G02 pre-amp (with MC)
Meridian G55 running bridged
B&W 802 Matrix S3 speakers
Nordost Blue Heaven cabling
Chromecast Audio

After spending the last few years just using spotify as a source through laziness, I've really enjoyed the sense of occasion of Vinyl/CD again and find myself sitting down listening to music instead of watching TV in the evening - a wonderful change.

My main hifi plans for 2021 is to enjoy it and expand the vinyl collection! I may consider changing the speakers if something interesting comes up but otherwise I'm happy with the rest of it.
So what tonearm/cartridge have you got on the LP12?

Love your comments about getting back into listening to music.

I have spent some time cataloguing my vinyl collection. It is in great shape now and it has surprised me in that there are some great albums I haven't played in years but I will correct that over the coming weeks.

Listening to music is way more enjoyable than obsessing about hifi. That's my story anyway.
Mark

Re: Hifi plans for 2021?

Post by Mark »

It's a Grace tonearm (I believe 707) with Supex 900 Super cartridge - I understand this was the creme de la creme in the late 70s. Vinyl is quite new to me, this is my first foray into it for myself but I am really enjoying it, especially digging through LPs that I've never heard before - a lot more commitment then hitting next on your phone or similar.

I recently bought a classic car (BMW 850i if it's of any interest!) and it has a tape deck only, so I've been digging out my old cassettes too recently, certainly feel like I'm heading back to the 80s in some regards :)