Quad Mini's

nige2000

Re: Quad Mini's

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
nige2000 wrote:we listened to a lot of gear yesterday between different sources and speakers which can get a little confusing by times when trying to cross compare with variables
think tonys pc/dac/amp sounded more detailed than i heard it before, the raidhos sounded great too fast and deep bass and magical at times but not just the same soundstage and imaging as the quads or the speakers formerly known as "Janusz's speakers with the long story" which were very revealing and super fast which might be unforgiving on poorer setups/recording, however right down my street as i love the speed and detail and imaging/soundstage

the yggy sounded much better than i was expecting
id sure like to hear it again without so many variables
A few points, Agree re lots of variables, The yggy ended up on the mobo usb as it wasn't working with Intona and regen I think down to my pc. Same issue for me this morning had to fiddle around with some wires! to get it working again.
yea eggy testing was mostly inconclusive because of the intona and regen not functioning with it and we used them with the l4 but despite that still well in the race as it sounded great
need another meet to test it properly
maybe you should solder all them loose wires in the pc case?
Nigels sd card yoke made an appearance and sounded alright! Still a work in progress but the Soekris dac has nice analogue flowing nature to it. If Nigel can do his mods without blowing it up no doubt it is going to be chasing down the Big7.
i think theres still a little more to get out of the soekris yet.
strangely enough its the a-b testing and measuring that the accidents happen on the mods themselves are usually incident free
i think the big7 uses two pcm1794 or same family of chips it certainly looks like the same package and sounds like them too
i have a dual 1794 dac here powered direct by lifepo4 same as soekris i tried pretty hard to sound good and it really does however it doesn't have the same precision, subtlety/delicacy and fluidity as the soekris i think its just a limitation of integrated chips and sigma delta
Longer I listened to the Raidho's the more they emerged as my favourite.After the Quads of course! which ended up too far out into the room yesterday.Bass is better when they are closer to the back wall but they will never be able to match the stand mounts in speed and volume levels. Pearse probably has the best of all worlds with the quad mini's thrown in.
the standmounts seemed to have more definition speed, snappy bass and tingly but clean highs in comparison to the 63's but the soundstaging is hard to match
i think the last speaker switchover coincided with a dac switchover afair?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Funnily enough I think the ppang card issue or intermittent issue relates to ground going to the switch on the front of the case. That was part of the original soldering job! Not too worried sure I should have the super big7 case sorted by this time next year.
Also suspect the slight wobbly position the card is inhabiting at the back of the case.

BTW you forgot to leave me some of those stand off things for the mobo clocks. That is going to hold up my clock installation:-)

You are right too many speaker changes to make any sense out of dac changes. Schit will have to return maybe when you get the Soekris back to fighting fitness?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Funnily enough I think the ppang card issue or intermittent issue relates to ground going to the switch on the front of the case. That was part of the original soldering job! Not too worried sure I should have the super big7 case sorted by this time next year.
Also suspect the slight wobbly position the card is inhabiting at the back of the case.
i dont think the intona not working is any effect of the clock mod glitch?
BTW you forgot to leave me some of those stand off things for the mobo clocks. That is going to hold up my clock installation:-)
oh you mean header pins? ill bring some next time
You are right too many speaker changes to make any sense out of dac changes. Schit will have to return maybe when you get the Soekris back to fighting fitness?
yea sure hopefully ill have a usb version for apples to apples
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:i dont think the intona not working is any effect of the clock mod glitch?
No not saying that the Pang card has done that a few times and it is just a reconnection of what was there already.
So wiring to the battery is solder for 5v and looks fine. The ground is going to the switch and that has myriad of wires.
Clocks are not the issue something seems to go awry occasionally when changing things out. I thought it might be the crocodile clips on regen but they were fine. It is no biggie just coincided with Schit being put in the chain and meant we didn't get to hear it through regen and intona which is a pity.

Another comparison is your card which is more detailed than the pang I think Ken would like what that brings.
Will have to swap it back in at some point but wanted to burn in the pang for awhile
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Great get together yesterday guys - thanks again to Tony
It was definitely a speaker & DAC meet
Loved the Raidhos when they were fired up first - amazing bass & very civilised sound
Then the Ceramic Speakers were put into action - wow! Speed & agility in spades & a soundstage that was deep & wide
Later Tony's Quads showed just how a speaker can get out of the way & present an enveloping soundstage (I was in the sweet spot). Didn't have the speed of the Ceramics or the bass of the Raidho's but the midrange was captivating & when the subs were powered up it really didn't lack much. I could easily live with any one of those speakers. With the box speakers I was always aware that the sound was coming from two point sources - with the Quads that two point sound source disappeared which makes the soundstage even more believable.

Yes, Yggi was very good & would be interested in a longer session comparing it to some other multibit DACs if Paddy was keen to bring it along to another meetup - I can guarantee that by next weekend we will have some working isolators to use with the Yggi :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

pang card will have a weightier smoother sound

i think it correlates to the type of clk signal inputted see below
the ppa inputs a higher signal voltage level sine wave type after it goes through the transformer and cap
and direct oscillator signal is a cleanish square wave which seems to improve definition and resolution which might be revealing and unforgiving

tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:Great get together yesterday guys - thanks again to Tony
Loved the Raidhos when they were fired up first - amazing bass & very civilised sound
Then the Ceramic Speakers were put into action - wow! Speed & agility in spades & a soundstage that was deep & wide
Later Tony's Quads showed just how a speaker can get out of the way & present an enveloping soundstage (I was in the sweet spot). Didn't have the speed of the Ceramics or the bass of the Raidho's but the midrange was captivating & when the subs were powered up it really didn't lack much. I could easily live with any one of those speakers. With the box speakers I was always aware that the sound was coming from two point sources - with the Quads that two point sound source disappeared which makes the soundstage even more believable.

Yes, Yggi was very good & would be interested in a longer session comparing it to some other multibit DACs if Paddy was keen to bring it along to another meetup - I can guarantee that by next weekend we will have some working isolators to use with the Yggi :)
I will ignore/skip Nigels squiggly doddlings as I haven't a clue what it means!,great to see Tirnahifi is the forum that just keeps giving. How can such a small population deliver so much?? As soon as you have them assembled John I am happy to throw open the doors. I think if they prove to be a winner you should launch them on PFM in the trade section. Just follow Keith's "stylish" promotion of the Intona which to be fair regardless of the fact Keith seems oblivious to the improvement it brings Intona have come up with the goods on that product. Nigel really needs to package the nigeregen in a prettier case then melted glue I don't think he realizes how many punters are waiting to pounce.

Again would concur with John the standmounts always presented a two box solution whilst the Quads seamlessly disappear but there are some aspects of both those speakers that the Quads just can't get to. The only thing missing was Simon's Elipsa's but I am sure he would be happy to drag them over in my trailer for the next speaker meet up??
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
jkeny wrote:Great get together yesterday guys - thanks again to Tony

I will ignore/skip Nigels squiggly doddlings as I haven't a clue what it means!
not sure why i posted that either its just a correlation ive noticed time and time
,great to see Tirnahifi is the forum that just keeps giving. How can such a small population deliver so much??
think were just crazier than your average loon
As soon as you have them assembled John I am happy to throw open the doors. I think if they prove to be a winner you should launch them on PFM in the trade section. Just follow Keith's "stylish" promotion of the Intona which to be fair regardless of the fact Keith seems oblivious to the improvement it brings Intona have come up with the goods on that product.
i was disgusted with the colossal difference the intona made after all the pc mods really seems like a must have device
Nigel really needs to package the nigeregen in a prettier case then melted glue I don't think he realizes how many punters are waiting to pounce.
a (hub chip) and isolator combo makes much more sense than the regen type devices alone with a mass of cables, will be interesting when john gets the prototypes made up
Again would concur with John the standmounts always presented a two box solution whilst the Quads seamlessly disappear but there are some aspects of both those speakers that the Quads just can't get to. The only thing missing was Simon's Elipsa's but I am sure he would be happy to drag them over in my trailer for the next speaker meet up??
yes half the forums queuing up to hear them
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

tony wrote:The only thing missing was Simon's Elipsa's but I am sure he would be happy to drag them over in my trailer for the next speaker meet up??
I couldn't risk putting the speakers near any of you. Sure they'd be "modified" within minutes...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

Got to hear these at the weekend in their latest position.Bolted to the side of the oak hifi rack housing the Classé amp,CJ pre and Lampi dac.
Pearse is right they work really well and give a body and soundstage that marries incredibly well with the Raidho's. It is sort of amazing that such expensive stand mounts that excel in reproducing instruments still require the body and soundstage that 1/3 of pair of 63's produces.