Electronica - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Electronica - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:No, its the CD version. To be honest I can't say as i never had the original (ie un-remastered version) but it does sound very good....

Fran

I had the original but I can't remember whether my remastered vinyl version sounds better.All I can say is, an old 7" I have of 'Computer Love' eats them all for breakfast as well as a 12" of 'Pocket Calculator' I have too...But I digress,Kraftwerk have not only attempted to remaster their back catalogue but to change the sound subtly to make them more palatable(!!) for the iPod generation and especially with 'Electric Cafe' (now known as 'Techno Pop'!) a whole new track has been added/butchered.I also find with remastered stuff you have to turn up the volume a bit more which for some obscure reason irritates me;blame the twin pots for that :-))
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

Ambient.Quite good.
cybot

Post by cybot »

jadarin wrote:Image

Ambient.Quite good.

Would you believe they were playing that in Tower last week?!!? I actually asked what they were playing and hoping it was available on vinyl :-)).... as far as I know it isn't. Beautiful image though...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Jad, I would urge you to get this amazing album. Mine is a vinyl copy with a whole 20 minutes
tagged on on Side 4 :-)) Read the review and see what you think...Sad to see it's sold out :-((

http://boomkat.com/cds/225409-thomas-k-ner-la-barca
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

cybot wrote:Jad, I would urge you to get this amazing album. Mine is a vinyl copy with a whole 20 minutes
tagged on on Side 4 :-)) Read the review and see what you think...Sad to see it's sold out :-((

Cybot,
Had a quick look on the net but couldn't find the cd anywhere.I'll have another look
later.Thank for the tip.Great idea with the hours/tracks.
While reading some reviews I came across this:
The album is released on the french Fario Records in a limited release - so again may be unobtainable even before you realise it exists!
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

Enjoying this at the moment.

The Album Leaf: A chourus of storytellers
cybot

Post by cybot »

jadarin wrote:
cybot wrote:Jad, I would urge you to get this amazing album. Mine is a vinyl copy with a whole 20 minutes

Cybot,
Had a quick look on the net but couldn't find the cd anywhere.I'll have another look
later.Thank for the tip.Great idea with the hours/tracks.
While reading some reviews I came across this:
The album is released on the french Fario Records in a limited release - so again may be unobtainable even before you realise it exists!
Found it for you Jad :-))) See link below - it's on vinyl though...

http://www.experimedia.net/index.php?ma ... =&x=83&y=6
cybot

Post by cybot »

jadarin wrote:Enjoying this at the moment.

The Album Leaf: A chourus of storytellers
Another group I never got around to checking out.I refuse to spoil the experience by going to iTunes for a listen! So jad how would you describe it?
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

Hi Cybot,
Here's a description of the album, not in my words.

Mixed in Reykjavik by Sigur Ros's engineer Birgir Jon Birgisson, Storytellers is all the better for LaValle's new approach, pulling together a fuller, more concentrated sound. It seems taking himself halfway out of the picture has allowed LaValle to get a better look at it, and for this reason the 11-track album gives the impression that creating song identity was a collaborative process.

With an Icelandic horn section, his entire touring band and some symphony players, Storytellers still sounds like an Album Leaf record, with distinguishing slower, sweeping moments and melancholic structures. But songs like “Until the Last” fluidly blends lush, live string elements with light-handed beats in a way that LaValle could not achieve before (in contrast to, say, the halting and hesitant tones of 2001's One Day I'll Be on Time). In the same way, where past releases were overly meditative and somber, Storytellers moves at a steady pace and finds balance in the talent assembled to make it. Closer “We Are” finishes on the up-tempo, with lyrics mirroring the process: “We all are pushing and pulling/ We are breaking the distance/ If there's still some time in our thoughts/ We walk away and back again.”

Over a decade in the making, The Album Leaf is just now hitting its stride, making A Chorus of Storytellers an aptly named marker of its 10-year anniversary. Here, finally, we find a singular imperative, neither too landscapey nor guitar driven, like a collage of 10 years' worth of influences. Traces of other San Diego bands like Pinback and LaValle's own Tristeza and the Black Heart Procession are distinctly here, culminating in mellow harmonies, relaxed bass lines and subtle ambient effects. LaValle's decision to loosen the reigns and invite trusted players and friends into the studio has yeilded his most focused release to date -- proof that a small risk is often the first step toward bigger and better things.

»
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks for that Jad; sounds intriguing...I remember actually once owning a Black Heart Procession Lp - or have I still got somewhere??