Irish Classical Music Composers in my collection

jaybee

Re: Irish Classical Music Composers in my collection

Post by jaybee »

fergus wrote:
fergus wrote:Charles Villiers Stanford:

This is a composer that I need to investigate more. I know him largely for his beautiful Requiem but I also realize that there is a lot more of his work to be investigated. I know that at least one other member has some of his works so I would gladly accept recommendations.
Must have a listen to that.... I've never heard it from the audience; only from the choir stall....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yes indeed, I've accompanied a bit of Stanford in my time: you're firmly in the Anglican church tradition there (and I mean that in the best possible way). I have a particular grá for the anthem "For Lo, I Raise Up", and Christ Church Cathedral choir have an excellent rendition of said anthem on Priory:

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Yes indeed, I've accompanied a bit of Stanford in my time: you're firmly in the Anglican church tradition there (and I mean that in the best possible way). I have a particular grá for the anthem "For Lo, I Raise Up", and Christ Church Cathedral choir have an excellent rendition of said anthem on Priory:

I understand that Stanford cut his musical teeth in the organ loft of St. Patrick's Cathedral and wrote a considerable amount of choral music so I can totally understand where you are coming from there Simon; thank you for that.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Gerard Victory:

Gerard Victory was born in Dublin in 1921 and had a long and successful career in music and broadcasting. Educated a Belvedere College he held degrees from both University and Trinity Collesges in Dublin. In 1972 he was awarded a Doctorate in Music by the former and was presented with the Order of Merit of the German Federal Republic and the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres of France. He has been President of the UNESCO International Rostrum of Composers. He joined Radio Eireann in 1948 and became Director of Music in 1967 until his retirement in 1982. His compositions are plentiful and range across many musical styles; his operas include The Music Hath Mischief, staged by the Dublin Grand Opera Society in 1969, and Chatterton which was broadcast by French Radio in 1971. His many orchestral compositions include Jonathan Swift (1972), The Land of Lilliput and four symphonies. Gerard Victory died in 1995.

Ultima Rerum:

The first performance of Ultima Rerum took place in 1984. The composition took the composer a number of years, beginning in 1975 with research into possible texts for a major symphonic choral work. Victory decided to use the traditional Requiem as the framework, adding texts from non-Christian sources.

Three Irish Pictures:

This is a relatively late work written in 1980 and was first performed by the RTE Symphony Orchestra in the following year. It comprises three movements, The Blacksmith, The Irish Hussar and Revel in Reeltime. The conservative technique employed reflects the fact that these contrasting cameos are set in the eighteenth century depicting particular aspects of Irish Life. In the first movement the blacksmith is presented at work whistling snatches of the traditional air Ding, dong didero a pleasant folk air first noted in County Limerick by P.W. Joyce. The bright mood with its crotchet anvil beats contrasts with the knowledge that the blacksmith’s marital security is threatened since his wife has eloped with the tailor.
This is followed by the largest of the three pictures, a lament entitles The Irish Hussar. The homeward thoughts of this Irish soldier (represented by the plaintive solo violin) as he lies dying on foreign soil are contrasted with a central assai mosso that vividly presents the sounds of battle.
The final movement, Revel in Reeltime, suggests something of the composer’s innate sense of humour. From a crisp rhythmic opening employing only the two violin lines the picture is developed in imitative style to a vigorous close.
(Notes by Joseph J. Ryan)
fergus

Post by fergus »

That concludes the listing of Irish composers that are currently in my collection. I am in no doubt that this list will continue to grow as I know that there are other Irish composers that I still need to investigate. As they are added to my collection I will post my additions.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I would just like to comment on this ubiquitous CD regarding this thread....

This is an excellent place to start if one was to embark upon an exploration of modern Irish composers. The CD features six different composers and all of the works are relatively short so one can easily get to grips with them quickly.

I obviously have an earlier edition of this CD and lest there be any confusion my cover is as follows....

....but they are one and the same CDs.
fergus

Post by fergus »

For Seán:

Seán, when you read this would you please be so good as to post that excellent link that you found recently and sent to me. I think that this would be a very appropriate time to post it. Thank you in advance.
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus wrote:Thanks a lot for that Johnny. Your contribution is the kind of thing that I was hoping for namely either other works not listed or other versions of those works listed. I really should have a copy of that CD; I greatly admire John O'Connor.

I have just filled one glaring gap in my collection by purchasing this set of the complete Piano Concertos by John Field played by John O'Conor....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
fergus wrote:Charles Villiers Stanford:

This is a composer that I need to investigate more. I know him largely for his beautiful Requiem but I also realize that there is a lot more of his work to be investigated. I know that at least one other member has some of his works so I would gladly accept recommendations.
I have and love these two recordings by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra led by David Lloyd-Jones, highly recommended. I have had difficulty in locating copies of the Second and Fifth by these forces. I must look for them again.

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:For Seán:

Seán, when you read this would you please be so good as to post that excellent link that you found recently and sent to me. I think that this would be a very appropriate time to post it. Thank you in advance.
Hi Fergus,

As requested:

Irish Classical Musicians – Seven Pioneers of the 19th Century
By Basil Walsh
http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... _Walsh.htm
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler