Turntable Cartridges

Adrian

Re: Turntable Cartridges

Post by Adrian »

The world is your Oyster!!! Anybody remember that one..... Frankie says?

At 700 euro... there is quiet a few carts to chose from, the Ortofon Quintet Black, Clearaudio Concept MC, being just two I would have as a option if I was heading in that direction of upgrade. Another option might be worth looking at is the Ortofon Cadenza range... I recently saw a Cadenza Red on ebay new.... for 850euro, good value I thought.

Other things to consider... ie type of cantilever, i.e. Boron, Aluminium, type of diamond, spherical, eliptical, fine line, loading 100ohms?, Output 0.5mv or 0.3mV etc etc. Interestingly I followed a discussion on the Wam... where posters were discussing tracking force and which they preferred etc.

On the plus side... due to their small size, cartridges are very easily stored..... so one can build up a neat collection, say a 300 euro cart, 700 euro cart and so on up to 2K cart, all neatly tucked away in a drawer.

You can then start a small cartridge rolling process over the course of the year... a cartridge for Spring, Autumn, Winter & Summer etc as your mood shifts. This would allow your cartridges to last longer... however slightly higher risk of damaging one during a change out etc. But as long as you have the stylus guard in place, take your time... then you should have no trouble etc.

I am very impressed with the Clearaudio build quality...and the Concept MC seems to have features of much higher cartridges, i.e.. microline diamond, Boron cantilever etc.

I took a punt on the Ortofon Rondo Blue a while back... and I am v. happy with it... very nice cartridge. Nothing ventured noting gained eh???

One other point... just make sure the weight of the cart falls into the range of the weight specified for the tonearm. By and large the overwhelming majority of carts will work with the majority of tonearms... but if you head into very exotic extremes you may be pushing the boundaries. 7 to 12 grammes seems to be the normal operating range etc
Let the Good Times Roll...................
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

All good stuff Adrian. Thanks for that. I'm surprised there isnt more talk or interest shown in TT cartridges. Surely they're just as important as speakers, being a transducer and all that etc.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:All good stuff Adrian. Thanks for that. I'm surprised there isnt more talk or interest shown in TT cartridges. Surely they're just as important as speakers, being a transducer and all that etc.

+1 on that Dave. They are, after all the first point of contact with the vinyl. I have done a limited series of experimenting recently and there are big differences to be heard even with modestly priced cartridges.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

This might be of interest (apart from the price) - an optical TT cartrdige https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Nx0vkyID8
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:This might be of interest (apart from the price) - an optical TT cartrdige https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Nx0vkyID8
I'd love to hear one... quite happy with my old fashioned pointy bit in a groove but it would be interesting all right.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ivor wrote:
jkeny wrote:This might be of interest (apart from the price) - an optical TT cartrdige https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Nx0vkyID8
I'd love to hear one... quite happy with my old fashioned pointy bit in a groove but it would be interesting all right.
From what I can gather, it's still a needle in the groove just that the conversion to electrical signals at the end of the vibrating shaft is done via optical sensing & not MM or MC
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Wasn't there some punter who was working on a laser system to read records just about the time CDs came out? I seem to recall reading that he finally completed it years later.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

An interesting development sure enough. The old A/B test would be good fun here.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra