OS for playback software on (Windows 7 or Windows 8)

jkeny

Re: OS for playback software on (Windows 7 or Windows 8)

Post by jkeny »

Peter Stockwell wrote:I'll be offline for a week or so, so I'll leave experimenting aside, Don't want to be getting my head all stirred up when I can't get to the computer.

Without having seen MQN, it does sound hair shirt, that is the interface, or lack of one. People go for iTunes, leaving aside the commercial aspect, for example, because of the slick interface and the very effecient file organisation and tagging capabilities.

JRiver is more flexible than iTunes, and is ultimately more powerful, but takes a while to understand. OTOH, I don't use it's video capabilities, not being much of a film and/or TV person. That said, I do watch 1h of time shifted TV every night.
Peter, at the risk of being labelled elsewhere as a "jkeny advertorial" - consider MQN a test of whether different software can sound different - i.e a challenge to the bits-is-bits mindset!
For your day to day use it of course needs a GUI - that's not what the experiment is about.
You would probably use some other music playback/management software for day to day use but it's useful to know what can be achieved sonically just through software.
Who knows, a good GUI might be written for MQN or it might even become an add-on to Jriver :)
I believe it works with Foobar, currently but haven't tried it
Last edited by jkeny on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Just uploaded a new version of MQNPlay here - see if you like it better http://rapidshare.com/files/854867815/mqnplay.exe

I see there have already been 10 downloads - great!
Post your impressions when you get a chance
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
james

Post by james »

Just wonderring .. what is MQN ?
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

mqn is a stripped down extreme hi-end computer audio wav file player for windows
and its damn good too
simple as well too as all you need is a folder on your pc with 4 files in it and wav files and your ready to go
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

It is a player developed by a guy in england. Kinda of a basic Jplay type product.Freeware and according to John and Nigel sounds better than JPLAY in single pc mode. It doesn't support streaming yet and is very basic in appearance. Download the link posted by John I have but haven't had time to try it yet.

See Nigel just beat me to it
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Peter Stockwell

Post by Peter Stockwell »

...haven't posted the latest version, but have been passing them to someone ... and he appreciates the improvements, have been optimising memcpy which has made a big difference, can't believe I am comparing the sonic differences between assembly instructions.
Lifted this from Head.Fi, I used to program IBM mainframe assembler (Did 23 years of it) and I used to take lots of time thinking about which instructions, which OS calls, where to place waits in the code to maximise performance. I can relate to where the sbgk is going with the MQN.

Now I can't wait to try this, bitz is bitz, right ?
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
Peter Stockwell

Looking over requirements for Windows Server 2012, it sez minimum 1,4GHz 64 bit machine. My NUC is 1,1GHz dual core 64 bit, will it run ?
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Mqn will be fine on server on that nuc
Jplay might not be fit to play large hires such like 24 192
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Peter Stockwell

nige2000 wrote:Mqn will be fine on server on that nuc
Jplay might not be fit to play large hires such like 24 192
Thanks Nigel.

I need at least 8Gb of Ram for JPlay, don't I ?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

4gb works 6gb sounds better
8gb to be sure, to be sure