the "my first turntable thread".....

markof

Re: the "my first turntable thread".....

Post by markof »

jaybee wrote:unfortunately a little further reading would appear to indicate that my choice of cart ( Grado Prestige) is particularly susceptible to hum from unshielded ac motors...!!

So back to square one for a budget cart...

Is the ortofon 2m red the way to go? or is it the "flavour of the month" like mission speakers used to be on what hifi?

I'm really trying to avoid anything bright...
I'm very happy with the Ortofon red on my project turntable. Sound is clean and well defined with nice punchy, bass extension. Good soundstage too. Not a hint of hum.

I found that appropriate matching of the cartridge to the phono amp is essential. Previously the sound was a bit thin when coupled with an older NAD PP2 phono amp. That changed dramatically when I switched to an iPhono amp recently and things really sweetened up with a total absence of the previous thinness. The iPhono allows for precise matching to the cartridge through a myriad of dip switches on the underside and I think this made a huge difference to the sound.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

cybot wrote:
jaybee wrote:unfortunately a little further reading would appear to indicate that my choice of cart ( Grado Prestige) is particularly susceptible to hum from unshielded ac motors...!!

So back to square one for a budget cart...

Is the ortofon 2m red the way to go? or is it the "flavour of the month" like mission speakers used to be on what hifi?

I'm really trying to avoid anything bright...
Where did you read that about the Grado? Methinks you worry too much! I had one and had absolutely no problems with it. It's very, very smooth. Too smooth for my tastes however. I can't stand brightness of any kind including the dreaded sibilance. I currently use a Goldring 1006 (tried them all) and I think it's a fantastic little player. Never liked Ortofons but I believe the Reds 'n Blues are pretty good. Have a look at the link below and see what you think? Any luck with phono stages? Not to worry horse before cart(ridge) coming soon :)

http://decoaudio.com/deco_audio_cartridges1.html
I think I read it over on vinylengine?

Then when I dug a little deeper (google!) Mike Fremer over on Analog Corner said he noticed it on his table, seeing as he has a Rolls Royce, I assumed it would only be worse on mine with an unshielded ac motor right there?

I'll take a look at the Goldring, as while most of the brands are known to me, their attributes aren't!!

On the phono stage end, I picked up a Cambridge Audio 551p, which I can't really judge yet, but the sound is certainly getting there!

The Astral Weeks album sounds fantastic, really and truly hearing, not things I never heard, but in way I never heard it before.

I suppose cohesive would be a good description, cant wait till I get a new cart to see what its really capable of!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
tweber

Post by tweber »

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread guys but I was wondering if any TT gurus have any opinions on a Rega Planar 3. I've seen one advertised close to me and might have a look. Are new Rega or Pro-jects a better buy or any other recommendations for a good budget TT also welcome.
Thanks,Shane.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Had a little chat with Grado, (who now have my undying loyalty; as soon as I upgrade my TT, I'll be buying a Grado Cart) and they suggested that a Nagaoka would have a similar sonic signature to their Prestige Range.

Found an MP110 at a cracking price on Amazon.de and its winging its way to me as we speak!

Cant wait....
cybot

Post by cybot »

jaybee wrote:Had a little chat with Grado, (who now have my undying loyalty; as soon as I upgrade my TT, I'll be buying a Grado Cart) and they suggested that a Nagaoka would have a similar sonic signature to their Prestige Range.

Found an MP110 at a cracking price on Amazon.de and its winging its way to me as we speak!

Cant wait....
God I've forgotten about the Nagaoka! I used to have the MP11 waaaaay back and it was one of my favourite cartridges :)
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

This apparently is the updated version of the MP11, its not quite as smooth as the grado sound, but apparently its a close second (at the budget price point obviously!)
cybot

Post by cybot »

jaybee wrote:This apparently is the updated version of the MP11, its not quite as smooth as the grado sound, but apparently its a close second (at the budget price point obviously!)
Let us know what you think when it arrives....Happy days :)
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

now I just need to work out how to get vta somewhere in the realm of parallel!

I hope the new cart is deeper!
cybot

Post by cybot »

jaybee wrote:now I just need to work out how to get vta somewhere in the realm of parallel!

I hope the new cart is deeper!

Will ya stop worryin' ;)
Frankie Lee

Post by Frankie Lee »

tweber wrote:Hope I'm not hijacking the thread guys but I was wondering if any TT gurus have any opinions on a Rega Planar 3. I've seen one advertised close to me and might have a look. Are new Rega or Pro-jects a better buy or any other recommendations for a good budget TT also welcome.
Thanks,Shane.
Can't really go wrong with a Planar 3. One of those ever-lasting gems of British hifi. You can upgrade it very economically too with their new white belt and the upgraded motor.

I just dug mine out of the attic and after a bit of TLC it is now working perfectly. Let me know if you need any oil for the bearing - I still have a litre of it left!
Check out our new iPad app: http://www.lowdownmtb.com