August: Nielsen's 5th Symphony

fergus

Re: August: Nielsen's 5th Symphony

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
That is a lovely piece Fergus, I think that you capture the essence of this work very well indeed. You have done a really good job of analysing Nielsen's Fifth; and now having done so, do you like it?
Thank you Seán. Yes, I must say that with repeated and focused listening I have certainly come to understand the work more and have a better appreciation of it than before.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

The Berglund is also an excellent version of this work. This version plays for 36:32 minutes so is slightly more expansive than the Blomstedt version. It is not as sharp in its portrayal of the evil turbulence that grips our world. It is a rather slightly more subtle approach which in its end result is every bit as menacing and troubling, perhaps even more so as a result of its subversive undertones which continually yield a sense of standing on unsure ground. Once again the playing from the Royal Danish Orchestra is wonderful. Perhaps these Danish players have some inert insight into this music which comes through in those menacing undertones and in the full bloom of those melodic interludes. Interestingly I felt that the conclusion to this version was more positive than the Blomstedt version.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
The Berglund is also an excellent version of this work. This version plays for 36:32 minutes so is slightly more expansive than the Blomstedt version. It is not as sharp in its portrayal of the evil turbulence that grips our world. It is a rather slightly more subtle approach which in its end result is every bit as menacing and troubling, perhaps even more so as a result of its subversive undertones which continually yield a sense of standing on unsure ground. Once again the playing from the Royal Danish Orchestra is wonderful. Perhaps these Danish players have some inert insight into this music which comes through in those menacing undertones and in the full bloom of those melodic interludes. Interestingly I felt that the conclusion to this version was more positive than the Blomstedt version.
Interesting comments Fergus. I certainly prefer the Blomstedt's SFSO performances to the earlier Blomstedt DRSO recordings so I am partcularly pleased with that observation on your part. I do like to listen to orchestras playing their "native music"

I like Berglund so that's another one for the basket perhaps.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

The National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland conducted by Leaper version is the most expansive of all three versions playing for 37:04 minutes. I have always felt that the NSOI are at their best playing “modern” music and this wonderful performance is no exception. There is a definite difference to the flavour of this version in terms of its interpretation of the work. It is quite unsettling and even somewhat more menacing than the other two with a nice bite to the lower register strings. This pervasive sense of menace prevails and is maintained throughout the performance of the first movement. The second section of the first movement is gloriously played and the orchestra demonstrates its ability to switch moods easily and effectively. I think that this performance more than holds its own with the other two perhaps even adding another interpretive dimension to the work. This interpretation I feel strives for a more coherent and positive resolution in the second movement and there is no doubt that the version concludes with a positive disposition.
fergus

Post by fergus »

My final offering on this thread is this amazing version....

The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra under Kondrashin really do play magnificently in this live performance that lasts for a mere 31:35 minutes. The music is never forced and never feels rushed or hurried instead I feel that the tension in the work is enhanced by the quicker tempo. The orchestra produce a wonderful sense of unease and disquiet in the first section of the first movement which is quite menacing. The string playing in the lyrical, pastoral sections is full bodied and beautifully evocative and definitely creates a sense of yearning which is almost palpable. The exuberant turbulence of the second movement is very well handled and played with the added electricity of a live, powerful performance. The performance concludes with one of the more optimistic performances. This is a very strong and powerful performance overall.
fergus

Post by fergus »

With my new found success with this work I think that it is now time, once again, to have a go with Nielsen 6. Perhaps while my ear has now been somewhat attuned to his sound world over the last few weeks I will perhaps have more success with his Symphony No. 6. I have never got to grips with it and I know that I am not alone here. Let us see how I get on.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:With my new found success with this work I think that it is now time, once again, to have a go with Nielsen 6.
steady as you go there, Fergus... we don't want you getting palpitations, now...

I suggest you take it one movement at a time, maybe with a couple of weeks between each one... ;-))
fergus

Post by fergus »

You know me well enough by now Jared....I am always up for a challenge! I feel that I need to jump in again soon as I think that I am ready to try again and will be a bit more receptive at this stage. One can but try.....
james

Post by james »

I have been listenning to the 5th symphony and I quite like it but it would not be one of my favourite pieces of music at the moment .. [This means nothing since some of my favourite pieces are pieces I did not like at all at the beginning].

Some of the woodwind writing reminds me a bit of Bolero [Ravel] -- this is not a criticism. I think the work takes a while to get started and I quite like the fast bit with the drums.

When I listen to it I just hear sounds and I do not really think there is a programme/story. This is probably wrong but generally I just listen to music as pure music.

It is a work I had not heard before and I am grateful for the opportunity that encourged me to hear it. I bought a set of the Nielsen symphonies and I will definitly listen to the rest of then over the coming months.

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]