Golden Ear Technology Triton Two Loudspeaker...

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
cybot

Re: Golden Ear Technology Triton Two Loudspeaker...

Post by cybot »

bod wrote:
bod wrote:I know for a fact that Noel Cloney really likes these speakers and all I can say is as far as I`m concerned Noel has yet to be wrong when it comes to hi-fi that makes MUSIC as opposed to the other nonsense we all get caught up in now and again.
BTW I`m not trying to wind anyone up it`s just impossible to get any idea of the quality of components without a proper period of listening with the right gear etc. etc. One of the main reasons I left hi-fi retail was because I simply could not enjoy music for the sake of it anymore as the little disease infested hamster in my brain wouldn`t shut the flip up and let me just listen :-)
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Pity there's no switch in our hamster infested brains :)
MooseTrackz

Post by MooseTrackz »

cybot wrote:
I want to hear more :) What sort of equipment have you got? How would you describe the sound. I believe the special tweeter used is a good 'un. Is it as detailed as a 'normal' tweeter? :)
Well not much to report here other than a Denon PMA 830 integrated amp + a generic CD player + Dual 701 turntable all components are vintage and are still making lovely music.

The sound is as one would expect, incredibly clear at the high end and extremely well defined in the mid range and the bass is fantastic (and being able to adjust it is such an added bonus). I'm hearing layers that I'd never realised were in the music in the first place. Incredibly well defined and so easy to position each instrument. To be honest I only have my old speakers to compare the tweeter to and I have to admit that the clarity beggars belief (but i might be a wee bit prejudiced here). I have a big room (9 x 6 x 7.2m) with suspended wooden floors to fill with sound and these speakers are doing a more than adequate job of fulfilling that role! I should of done this ages ago. Might have to look into a replacement for the old power amp.
ooooooooooooooooooh i like that
cybot

Post by cybot »

MooseTrackz wrote:
cybot wrote:
I want to hear more :) What sort of equipment have you got? How would you describe the sound. I believe the special tweeter used is a good 'un. Is it as detailed as a 'normal' tweeter? :)
Well not much to report here other than a Denon PMA 830 integrated amp + a generic CD player + Dual 701 turntable all components are vintage and are still making lovely music.

The sound is as one would expect, incredibly clear at the high end and extremely well defined in the mid range and the bass is fantastic (and being able to adjust it is such an added bonus). I'm hearing layers that I'd never realised were in the music in the first place. Incredibly well defined and so easy to position each instrument. To be honest I only have my old speakers to compare the tweeter to and I have to admit that the clarity beggars belief (but i might be a wee bit prejudiced here). I have a big room (9 x 6 x 7.2m) with suspended wooden floors to fill with sound and these speakers are doing a more than adequate job of fulfilling that role! I should of done this ages ago. Might have to look into a replacement for the old power amp.
Delighted to hear everything is as it should be. They certainly seem to doing their stuff in your large room. How far out from the back/side walls have you got them? Is it difficult to set the bass?
Anyway spend some time enjoying what you have before even thinking about 'improving' things. Give it time....By the way what speakers did you have before?
MooseTrackz

Post by MooseTrackz »

cybot wrote: How far out from the back/side walls have you got them? Is it difficult to set the bass?
By the way what speakers did you have before?
about 4 ft from the side wall and 3 ft from the back wall, setting the bass is very easy, a twist this way or a twist that way, even i can manage it. I had/have a pair of angstrom 2 way floorstanders as they are now called, used to be called speakers\??? Vintage 1978

I'll reconnect them as background soon as I get used to the new ones, oh yeah.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Great to hear you like them! I think I was the only one who thought they sounded good at the Show and also when I heard them with Naim gear at the recent Cloney demo.

With regards to amp upgrade you really have lots of options as these are active in the bass and should be easy to drive. Second hand Naim or Primare could be a sensible upgrade - or even a valve integrated if you are that way inclined ;)
Congratulations!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote:Great to hear you like them! I think I was the only one who thought they sounded good at the Show and also when I heard them with Naim gear at the recent Cloney demo.

With regards to amp upgrade you really have lots of options as these are active in the bass and should be easy to drive. Second hand Naim or Primare could be a sensible upgrade - or even a valve integrated if you are that way inclined ;)
Congratulations!
They were probably well run in by the time you heard them Claus. I heard them right at the start of the demo and they had just been plugged in. Plus the guy doing the demo was a pain in the butt to tell the truth. I also heard them up in Cloney's with the Naim gear too and they sounded fantastic! Will have to have a nice chat with Noel in the New Year :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

MooseTrackz wrote:
cybot wrote: How far out from the back/side walls have you got them? Is it difficult to set the bass?
By the way what speakers did you have before?
about 4 ft from the side wall and 3 ft from the back wall, setting the bass is very easy, a twist this way or a twist that way, even i can manage it. I had/have a pair of angstrom 2 way floorstanders as they are now called, used to be called speakers\??? Vintage 1978

I'll reconnect them as background soon as I get used to the new ones, oh yeah.
Thanks for the info Moose. Mine is a small room but with decent ceiling height (13x13.5x10 ft) I wonder would I get away with my current settings for the Castle Howards - 21/23" from side wall and 13/15" from back. Still when I had a very brief listen in Cloneys with the Naim gear they were only approx. a foot from the back wall but ample distance from the side. That's why I asked you about the bass adjustment. Also wonder what they sound like with the subs switched off/unplugged? By the way what's your taste in music?
MooseTrackz

Post by MooseTrackz »

cybot wrote: Also wonder what they sound like with the subs switched off/unplugged? By the way what's your taste in music?
With the subs off its very crisp and clear but somehow missing that special something that you can rarely put your finger on.
Depending on the mood anything from Classical to thrash metal but mainly acoustic guitar + vocals.
MooseTrackz

Post by MooseTrackz »

MooseTrackz wrote:
cybot wrote: Also wonder what they sound like with the subs switched off/unplugged? By the way what's your taste in music?
With the subs off its very crisp and clear but somehow missing that special something that you can rarely put your finger on.
Depending on the mood anything from Classical to thrash metal but mainly acoustic guitar + vocals.
a few months on and the addition of a new pwr amp (thks Anto) and these wee laddies are starting to come into their own, the old spkrs have been relegated to a niece or nephew and fri nights are now concert nights and we're going to crack open the vinyl vault for another go, oh yeah!
cybot

Post by cybot »

MooseTrackz wrote:
a few months on and the addition of a new pwr amp (thks Anto) and these wee laddies are starting to come into their own, the old spkrs have been relegated to a niece or nephew and fri nights are now concert nights and we're going to crack open the vinyl vault for another go, oh yeah!
Which power amp did you upgrade to? Enjoy :)