What camera should I buy?

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Robbie m

Re: What camera should I buy?

Post by Robbie m »

Diapason wrote:Update: After a considerable amount of hemming and hawing I decided to just get on with it, so yesterday I ordered a Canon 550D body and a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II lens (the "nifty fifty"). It seems that most of my friends with SLRs are using Canons, so in the interest of being able to borrow their lenses I decided this was the way forward. I ordered camera, lens and a a fast 16GB card from Amazon for just under €700 so I'm happy with that.

Can't wait to get it and start playing with it now, I expect a whole new world of nerdiness to open up before me.

Hi there,

Well whats it like?

I was looking at getting the same cannon or something smaller like a Panasonic DMC-GF2.
Can decide yet.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm very happy with it, very happy indeed. Despite my fear that I'd never be able to work it, it's just such a huge step-up from my old camera that even on an auto setting it produces fantastic results. Aside from that, working the thing is a doddle, now all I need to do is develop an artistic eye and practise. Easy eh?

I can't really comment on comparisons with other cameras, so it's hard to advise there. However, I'm happy with the thought that I've an upgrade path available should I ever need it. Ultimately that put me off another point-and-click.

Incidentally, last time I looked on amazon the price had come down even further.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Congrats on the purchase. I'm a Nikon man myself, I think they do InfraRed slightly better but all my friends with the exception of one use Canon

I am not recommending anyone buy this but this camera is worth checking out https://www.lytro.com/science_inside (it allows for refocusing after the fact) - check out their photo gallery, it is pretty neat.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
StoneAgeMan

Post by StoneAgeMan »

I worked in a camera shop for years (O'Shaughnesys Mary St) and pondered for years over buying the perfect camera. Fortunately I was in the position whereby I could borrow cameras and asses their value to me. As this was in the days of print photography I was unable to distinguish any difference between any of the leading brands. To this day I maintain this belief. The difference betwen brands is miniscule....like hi fi. I eventually settled om on OM 1, but for the reason that it was a comfortable fit in my hands.
Taking photos is one thing, printing them is another... are you looking at quality printing images, then invest furthe in a quality printer...prepare to spend again.
To me as an amateur looking at the future the way forward is the Sont/ Minolta way. I believe you can use their cameras, encourage the pushing of photo boundaries, and enjoy fantasic images
I am not a Prophet,
Or a Stone Age Man,
Just a mortal
With the potential of a Superman
fergus

Post by fergus »

StoneAgeMan wrote:I worked in a camera shop for years (O'Shaughnesys Mary St) and pondered for years over buying the perfect camera. Fortunately I was in the position whereby I could borrow cameras and asses their value to me. As this was in the days of print photography I was unable to distinguish any difference between any of the leading brands. To this day I maintain this belief. The difference betwen brands is miniscule....like hi fi. I eventually settled om on OM 1, but for the reason that it was a comfortable fit in my hands.
Taking photos is one thing, printing them is another... are you looking at quality printing images, then invest furthe in a quality printer...prepare to spend again.
To me as an amateur looking at the future the way forward is the Sont/ Minolta way. I believe you can use their cameras, encourage the pushing of photo boundaries, and enjoy fantasic images
I spent many, many, many £££££s in another Life in O'Shaughnesy's of Mary St. buying an OM1 and an OM2 with a full compliment of lenses for them as well. That was a powerful little system....great memories, thanks!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Funny you should mention the OM1 - I almost bought one of those recently! I've been doing some analogue photography of late, developing and printing in the darkroom. Great fun, and quite a steep learning curve!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote:Funny you should mention the OM1 - I almost bought one of those recently! I've been doing some analogue photography of late, developing and printing in the darkroom. Great fun, and quite a steep learning curve!

Fran
The OM1 was a superb camera Fran and the Olympus lenses were second to none. I also spent quite a considerable time in the darkroom because I also used to shoot medium format B+W back in the day.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Geddaway! That's mad!

I ended up getting a canon body because my digital end is all canon (7D). I had invested in good canon glass so it made sense to stay with it.

What MF camera did you use? MF work is something I want to try sometime but I'm only barely getting the hang of printing at the moment. I'm lucky in that I have all the darkroom gear (and the darkroom).

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote:I ended up getting a canon body because my digital end is all canon (7D). I had invested in good canon glass so it made sense to stay with it.
I have often thought of doing the same actually but have just not got around to it.

What MF camera did you use? MF work is something I want to try sometime but I'm only barely getting the hang of printing at the moment. I'm lucky in that I have all the darkroom gear (and the darkroom).
I used a Bronica. The negs were huge compared with 35mm but they were great in that they virtually produced a 10x8 print uncropped so careful composition saved a lot of time in the darkroom.

I still have my enlarger stuffed away in the attic!
StoneAgeMan

Post by StoneAgeMan »

I can sense the Paterson (If theyre still around) shares going up with all this new gear being purchased. I have to agree as regards the OM 1 and lenses. Fantastic pieces of kit. Sadly missed.
I am not a Prophet,
Or a Stone Age Man,
Just a mortal
With the potential of a Superman