Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

I haven't bought any recordings for awhile and this is my first CPE Bach CD, I picked it up for €12.99 in Tower earlier today:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

The cover above is different to one I bought but it's the same performance. This huge piece is spread over 3 CD's.

I havent bought a HvK recording in a very long time but this one has always been on the list. I believe that this is the recording that got Sean hooked on Mahler.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:I haven't bought any recordings for awhile and this is my first CPE Bach CD, I picked it up for €12.99 in Tower earlier today:

He wrote some lovely, inventive music Seán so you should enjoy that one.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:I haven't bought any recordings for awhile and this is my first CPE Bach CD, I picked it up for €12.99 in Tower earlier today:

He wrote some lovely, inventive music Seán so you should enjoy that one.
I have that CD too and I think its the only CPE Bach one I have. I cant really remember if its any good as I only listened to it once and that was quite a while ago!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Image

I havent bought a HvK recording in a very long time but this one has always been on the list. I believe that this is the recording that got Sean hooked on Mahler.
Indeed it was, that and the Abbado/BPO M6 recording too. I was amazed at how an orchestra could sound so different on two separate recordings. Anyway, I have raved so much about that HvK/BPO recording that I expect that it can not possibly live up to one's expectations of it. I hope that you like, it is still my favourite, it will always have a spot in my affections.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven Piano concertos played on fortepiano....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Beethoven Piano concertos played on fortepiano....

I would like to know what you think of those recordings Fergus. I have come across Tan & Norrington in Tower but as I have never heard performances by either of them I did not know what to make of their work.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

A wonderful find! Biber is best-known for instrumental music, but he wrote choral music as well, and in recent decades two extravagantly scored (for the time) masses, this one, the Missa Bruxellensis and the Missa Salisburgensis have been ascribed to him. The Missa Bruxellensis was probably written for an occasion in about 1702, not long before Biber's death in 1704. It would have been intended for performance in Salzburg Cathedral and this CD is from live performances there with four of the five groups of performers using the choir balconies on the four main pillars of the Cathedral. There was an SACD available at one stage, with surround sound, which would be a worthwhile addition to this. In stereo it's already a blaze of glory with 23 solo performers making the cathedral resonate, especially the trumpets, which have brilliant parts.

Back to the Festetics Quartet, this time playing my favourite Haydn quartet, Op. 76 No. 2 "Fifths". They play it for keeps, like they really mean it. I've never heard Haydn Quartet playing quite like this. They've looked at the manuscript too, so there are a few little touches you don't hear elsewhere. This is now my favourite performance of my favourite Haydn quartet!

All of Chopin's songs (I listened to six). I've always been interested to hear them as there is always a vocal, singing quality in his piano music. Now the NIFC (the Fryderyk Chopin Institute) have brought out a CD of all the songs sung by Aleksandra Kurzak, soprano and Mariusz Kwiecień, baritone, accompied Nelson Goerner on an 1848 Pleyel. I enjoyed this very much.

A while back I was listening to my LPs of the Monteverdi 1610 Vespers and enjoyed them enormously until the stylus got stuck in the groove. The Virgin Veritas CDs are very cheap and come with a substantial bonus in the form of vespers from Monteverdi's Selva morale e spirituale which constitute about two-thirds of another Monteverdi/Parrott LP in my collection. They were all recorded in digital in the early 1980s and sound absolutely wonderful on CD. The only downside is that the documentation is very sparse, but hey! I have the LPs with their excellent scholarly notes, full texts and session photographs: the best of both worlds. It's interesting: I've been listening to Parrott's recording of the 1610 Vespers since the eighties, but I feel I'm only coming to appreciate much of it now. The cornett playing of Bruce Dickey and the gorgia singing of Nigel Rogers are still awe-inspiring. In fact, because I like this one so much I have acquired other recordings, good in many ways, but they haven't displaced this one in my esteem.