Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Fran »

It's available from komplett for 283 with free shipping at the moment. Might pull the trigger later myself. Ram there is also cheap enough, although not the exact zuma one.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

You are upping the pressure Fran.It is like an arms race.In danger of being left behind in the crush to zumaland.

Make sure that is the right one Fran I cant see it there. the 3770 is there alright but I think that uses more power
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Have you guys considered talking to Elara, Micro Pro (or others)?

they might be able to source and build what you need at a "group rate". Just a thought...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Worth a try Ivor but the problem is I will go for a full build,Fran has case etc,John well he is in nucland and Nige is in a different space again about processors so there is no real group buy team.

Fran there is a 3770S available on amazon.co.uk for £199 it is secondhand I dont have the courage to take a risk on that one maybe you do.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

right i pulled the trigger on the streacom fc10 case (ouch) i know its horrendiously expensive but i see long term use for it.
im going to try to reuse some components i've got here to start with, if i fail ill move on
im going to use a gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard
i have a intel i3 2105 and a i7 2600k, ill start with the i3
picu psu with power brick
6gb mediocre ram
silent gfx card nvidia 210
windows to go Kingston usb 3 win8 (ive given up on john doe audiophile win 8, its reduced functionality annoys me) think its marginally better than my ssd and narrows the gap between 2pc and single
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
mick

Post by mick »

http://www.quietpc.com/ivybridge

i7 3770t on quiet pc for 310 euros plus postage.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:You are upping the pressure Fran.It is like an arms race.In danger of being left behind in the crush to zumaland.

Make sure that is the right one Fran I cant see it there. the 3770 is there alright but I think that uses more power
remind again
that these 3770 chips are essentially the same. the s, t are limited to reduce power consumption
it is very likely that unless you are going to render video or play complicated video games the power consumption will remain the same playing music
the k version can be underclocked to act like a t or s version

i assume we are going to bring these builds together to compare them to the zuma itself

impressed with the beta jplay in ultra
going to try it with my i3 2105 h67n usb3 picu psu build with the noisy cpu fan tonight see if it breaks a sweat (one of my favorite things about the windows to go usb3)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Aha, Nige, you got the USB3 stick Win8-to-go working? Did you use a Virtual Hard Disk or standard approach?

I'm interested in your results running Jplay on core i3, - it will have implications for i3 NUC
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Right, just pulled the trigger on the motherboard..... no stopping now!

komplett link for 3770:

http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product ... tails.aspx

Ram, slightly cheaper in dabs:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-8gb ... html?src=3

komplett link ifyou want to keep it all togehter:

http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product ... tails.aspx
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Aha, Nige, you got the USB3 stick Win8-to-go working? Did you use a Virtual Hard Disk or standard approach?

I'm interested in your results running Jplay on core i3, - it will have implications for i3 NUC
I failed on the non certified usb3 stick and gave up was giving me a pain in the head
Life's too short
Certified win8 stick works like a charm installed as fran posted only with standard win 8
Usb3 stick wouldn't boot on my h67 motherboard
Pretty sure it's because the boot loader is for uefi not traditional bios
Will change boot loader tomorrow
Last edited by nige2000 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.