Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by tony »

mick wrote:Quiet pc do an NUC style mini pc:
http://www.quietpc.com/sys-ultranuc
Any thoughts?
Looks nice Mick. The issue is will i3 be enough and will the at implementation bring the same magic as the zuma.
We need a purchaser to check it out. John is keen on this route but is holding out to check out i5/7 nucs due shortly.

Nobody can figure whether it is all the zuma parts or just the fanless/pico/ssd or whatever that is bringing the sq up.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:After hearing the various bits at Tony's over the weekend, I went today and bought a picoPSU - its a no-brainer really. I found the cheapest place to go was ebay, but there may be other options out there. Logic supply is the cheapest but their shiping is ridiculous.

Anyway, another slight step on the way.

Fran
One small step for man eh cant remember the rest. Intel have a new chip due I wonder will this bring down the price of the 3770S? Probably not enough bucks to make a big difference as it has a long way to fall to get to Nige's €70 chip.

Did you get the wallwart also? Can you put the ebay link in your post Fran?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Cant remember if this was posted already but streacom have a nuc case in the offing also

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Streac ... 21446.html
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290828973321?ssP ... 238wt_1271

bear in mind that I already have the linear power brick, so I only needed the internal bits. What you need is a linear 12v 7amp or greater supply.

This is the thing I'm using:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated ... -units-231

but bear in mind that that one puts out 13.8V although you can adjust it inside to give you 12V. I have the 5A one, if you were going to buy it I'd say go for the 7A one.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Just a few updates and thoughts.

Noticed on zuma thread in CA forum that Chris is recommending the 3770T processor.It seems that it was not available when doing the original build.Not a biggie just 10w less power consumption.

Also the H5s case from Plex seems a better option than the streacom case.It can also be ordered with a pico power supply kit that means you will not have to solder on cable extension to get it to the side of the case. Factor in the cheaper price and it seems the logical route to go if going for a full sized case.

A question re the flexible riser. I don't think it is needed if not going for the SOTM usb card? Is that correct?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Edited: cases linked were mini-itx which won't take the zuma Intel dh77eb mobile.

Tony: just noticed your post now re the 3770T - the problem is tha these are pretty much unobtainium... so the "S" is the next best choice. The few 3770T I've seen have gone for fairly serious money, at least €100 more than the S...

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Just snagged a PicoPSU on Adverts.ie for €40 - the guy dropped it into me tonight!
Sometimes, these things can be right under your nose :)

How come these PicoPSU have a 12V limit on the input but Zuma has a 19V input PS (is this 65W output?) - I presume there's a regulator inside the Zuma to bring it down to 12V?

Fran, when using the PicoPSU it probably doesn't need a LINEAR PS - SMPS will probably do fine if you can get a 12V high current version? You probably only need a 60W PS i.e 12V 5A output?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

You know I saw that on adverts, and meant to pm the guy but I forgot until I saw your post just now!!

If the SMPS makes no difference, well great! I think there is a wide voltage version of hte pico, but its much lower in wattage. Also, the standard one with 12v is whats specc'd for the zuma
tony

Post by tony »

Well done John always have to keep looking on adverts just in case.

Fran I found it(3770T) for roughly the same price as the S(10 extra) will dig up the link going to bed still in the wars with jplay. Unfortunately the beta version is crashing on me aka what you guys saw at the weekend. It worked on xtream no joy with ultra but once i restarted jplay settings just keeps crashing.
ultrastream gave a message about it not being possible and advising a network card not compatible problem. Sure it will be fixed at some point but frustrating
tony

Post by tony »

noticed the cheap or relatively cheap 3770S has disappeared from dabs and is only available in elara now for €317.
I understand what Nige was saying about getting parts when they are available. Will be interesting to see if it reappears or if they get new stock.

With the supposed release of intels next gen chips which are meant to be a big leap in terms of power usage etc I thought the i7's might start dropping in price.