MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: MQN

Post by Sligolad »

Just been listening to 2.37 for the past 2 hours and it sounds amazing, definitely the best I have heard so far from MQN.
If that one goes to the Archive I think I may be going with it....

Too hard now to try and be analytical when listening to 2.37 as I just kept being drawn into the music, amazing!

Post by nige2000 »

bass defination best here with 2.37
great version although we lost some reverb/ decay
sound doesn't carry through the air as long or as it should

its part of the stuff we lost in changing to new control 1.1

although the avx always seems better
i dont think it will cure this

anyway a great punchy defined version
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:bass defination best here with 2.37
great version although we lost some reverb/ decay
sound doesn't carry through the air as long or as it should

its part of the stuff we lost in changing to new control 1.1

although the avx always seems better
i dont think it will cure this

anyway a great punchy defined version
yup, a lot of new changes recently, just learning what each means for the sound and what's possible and not. Ideally would get play deployed as a service as it made a difference to squeezelite, but there are issues with that.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded an experimental control for R2.38 called c musicplayer R2.38

it only works if mqnplay.exe etc is in c:\musicplayer directory and 16/44 only, but the sq seems restored to 1.0, probably better.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Sligolad wrote:Just been listening to 2.37 for the past 2 hours and it sounds amazing, definitely the best I have heard so far from MQN.

Too hard now to try and be analytical when listening to 2.37 as I just kept being drawn into the music, amazing!
Can't agree with the positive feeling about 2.37 in my case I find it extremely flat sounding. All spaciousness and air and acoustic space has been squeezed out.

The absolute best IMHO is the 2.31 hires, 2.37 is not even close or to be considered a contender at all. Strong words, but in my setup it is way back.

Still hoping for a 32-bit version of 2.31 hires

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
Sligolad wrote:Just been listening to 2.37 for the past 2 hours and it sounds amazing, definitely the best I have heard so far from MQN.

Can't agree with the positive feeling about 2.37 in my case I find it extremely flat sounding. All spaciousness and air and acoustic space has been squeezed out.

The absolute best IMHO is the 2.31 hires, 2.37 is not even close or to be considered a contender at all. Strong words, but in my setup it is way back.

Cheers

Aleg
Which control are you using
Don't think I tried 2.31
Will recheck
But I think sbgk is just trying out different instructions to hear their effect on sq
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
Aleg wrote:

Cheers

Aleg
Which control are you using
Don't think I tried 2.31
Will recheck
But I think sbgk is just trying out different instructions to hear their effect on sq
I'm using mqncontrol.exe 10ms R1.1
(+ priority & affinity settings and 448 clockrate)

I hope sbgk is just trying out different things and not building forward on them.
Sometimes you have to go back to the best and go forward from there again.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

R2.38 with the c musicplayer R2.38 control is a bit more open.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:R2.38 with the c musicplayer R2.38 control is a bit more open.

better
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Aleg wrote: Can't agree with the positive feeling about 2.37 in my case I find it extremely flat sounding. All spaciousness and air and acoustic space has been squeezed out.

Cheers

Aleg
Find it hard to believe we are at poles apart on this one, going to go back and check my settings tonight, no priority, affinity or clock rate changes for me, just loaded in to an existing MQN folder with recent versions.
I was amazed at the width and depth with amazing decay and sparkle I was hearing but most of all I was drawn in by the music which mostly included vocals, getting vocals right is where I have always been very picky.
I tried 2.38 afterwards and I felt that version was tame and lacking by comparison to 2.37!

Will be interested to see if all was in order as I have been caught out by MQNload before so I did check it was on 2.37 during some of the tracks so do not believe there was any issue there, it will be staying in my collection either way.