JLP wdm-ks player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
cvrle59

Re: JLP wdm-ks player

Post by cvrle59 »

I hope nobody is tired of anybody here. This place is great with some great results so far.
Please, stay on the same track and we'll experience even greater, little more patience would help.
Last edited by cvrle59 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
tony

Post by tony »

Just grumpy old men it happens to most of us at some point especially monday mornings.
Anyway families always fight argue make up and then start it all again and this is one mad looney bits are really important family
that defy all known science.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:Just grumpy old men it happens to most of us at some point especially monday mornings.
Anyway families always fight argue make up and then start it all again and this is one mad looney bits are really important family
that defy all known science.
Tony,

Who are you calling old :-)
Grumpy I may be, but I certainly don't feel old. LOL

One big Family, love that

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
tony

Post by tony »

Funny when I saw the talking dirt post I was reminded of Hilda Ogden that auld cherub from Coronation Street with the rollers in the hair.
She was a right auld busy body
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Anyway since the neighbours have gone for tea is this v24 a bit bright and brittle? What settings are being used. I left them at what was working previously 2ms 260:8000 It might be 280 cant remember as I put it up to high numbers i.e 400:80000 to see if that changed things
sima66

Post by sima66 »

No wonder I'm screwed-up........I grow up in a BAD neighborhood!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

tony wrote:Anyway since the neighbours have gone for tea is this v24 a bit bright and brittle? What settings are being used. I left them at what was working previously 2ms 260:8000 It might be 280 cant remember as I put it up to high numbers i.e 400:80000 to see if that changed things
Apologises maybe a senior moment or posting before all the cookers and washing machines had finished their evening cycle. V24 is very good.
Moving closer to MQn 2.71 intel 1024 raw background which I consistently use.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Posts cleaned up a bit there lads - please keep it on topic and please, don't bring remarks from other fora/old disputes here.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Fran wrote:Image

Posts cleaned up a bit there lads - please keep it on topic and please, don't bring remarks from other fora/old disputes here.

Fran
English, please! :-(
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I find a very interesting story from Barry Diament on Naim forum. I guess his name is recognized by most of the members here, if not just google it. A lot here matches what Gordon is all about with MQn and JLP, "less is better".

"I've always felt that what is "good", "better" or "best" depends entirely on exactly what one seeks.
The goal might truth to the source or it might be what someone may just like. Personally, I think both are equally valid as I'd never argue with whatever brings anyone their listening pleasure.

But if the goal is truth to the source, my experience has been that well ripped files (in raw PCM format such as .aif or .wav) invariably are truer to the CD master than any CD pressing played back via any transport.

Ever since I created my first CD master, early in 1983, and heard the results that came back from the replication facility, I realized that CDs made at different plants (and often on different lines at the same plant) all sound different from each other and *none* sounds indistinguishable from the master used to make it. The differences, in my experience, range from subtle to not-at-all subtle, with focus and fine detail being lost to varying degrees.

I've always found a slow-burned CD-R to get closer to , if still not indistinguishable from, the CD master. But when any decent pressing is properly extracted to hard drive (in raw PCM format such as .aif or .wav), I've found the differences go away. This is what has me so excited about playback from the computer: for the very first time in my experience, the listener can get the sound of the master, unaltered.

I had a related experience not too long ago when comparing an SHM pressing with its plain vanilla counterpart, both created from the same CD master. At first, when listening via my transport, I was certain I was hearing two different masterings, so different did the drums, cymbals and piano sound. I would have bet money I was hearing two different EQs created by two different engineers. I thought it was a trick to make SHM, which I took to be just another way of pressing a CD, sound better than it really was. Much to my surprise, when I extracted both the SHM and CD versions to computer hard drive and played them from there, they were indistinguishable.

What accounts for the differences? I'm can only speculate. Playback from the disc involves several processes. The player must track the spiral of pits, maintain focus on the laser, read the pits, decode the 8:14 modulation by which the binary data is encoded to create the nine different length pits on a CD, perform any necessary error correction, and convert the binary stream to analog audio, all in real time. While playback from hard drive in a computer certainly involves some processes too, it seems to me there is less to do overall and my experience has been when there is less to do, better results are achieved. Again, just speculation on my part. (I'm always open to learning something new.) What I do know is that I've never heard CD playback from any transport/DAC combination, regardless of price that sounds indistinguishable from listening to the CD master, while playback from the computer routinely does sound indistinguishable from the master.

So again, if someone feels playback from the CD is "better", I wouldn't argue. They may simply like the resulting sound. But my ears tell me it doesn't sound the same as the master sent to the replication facility by the mastering house. Me? I'd rather hear the sound of the master.
Just my perspective, of course.

Best regards,
Barry"
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1