What are you listening two?

DonKC

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by DonKC »

fergus wrote:
DonKC wrote:The always colorful and interesting Henry Cowell was a proponent of "world" music (along with Lou Harrison) before it became popular. Sadly long OOP Louisville Orchestra recording:

Symphony # 11 "Seven Rituals of Music"

Robert Whitney conducting

great stuff

I will see if I can track it down on YouTube Don as I would be interested to hear it.
Cowell is always worth a listen Fergus.

I know of only the Mahler 4 with Mengelberg, but I do have a disc of short works that contains an Adagietto from #5 with the Concertgebouw. Found that one in a discount/used book and record store. Must be some out there hiding.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Last night's and today's listening fare include but were not limited to:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 9

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Carlo Maria Giulini conducting.

I had almost forgotten what a pleasurable experience it is to sit through this performance of Mahler's Ninth. It really is special. I cannot help but smile almost all the way through the second movement: nobody does parody quite like Gustav Mahler and the CSO under Giulini's direction carry if off with glorious aplomb. This performance is a joy from start to finish. I LOVE it.

Franz Schubert
Symphony No. 8

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Carlo Maria Giulini conducting.

The Ninth is great, alas, the Eighth just ain't! I have found this particular performance of the great Eighth bland and uninspiring. Perhaps It's me? I shouldn't listen to it straight after Mahler's Ninth, I suppose, dunno! I know that there are other recordings that are far better than this. Am I being too harsh I wonder? I have never really taken to it.
Last edited by Seán on Sat May 30, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

And now this gets the blood flowing, the foot tapping and the spirits rising: it is music written by GOD and performed by angels:

Johann Sebastian Bach
Magnificat BWV 243

La Chapelle Royale
Collegium Vocale Gent
Philippe Herreweghe conducting.

Perfection!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Mahler 6, Solti....

I don't have that, I should have Solti's complete Mahler cycle.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:
Mengelberg is probably the conductor who give us the performances that must resemble the most those of the late XIX Century. Have you heard his Mahler Fergus/Seán? Fascinating!

I felt as though I was listening in on the past Pepe which, in fact, I was. My thoughts when listening to the Tchaikovsky were how much approaches and interpretations seem to have changed so much over the years; and one wondered how close to the original intentions of the composer these performances were given the relatively close time proximity [compared to now of course] of the Mengelberg recordings. Do we inevitably move further away from a composer's wishes as time moves on?

I only have Mahler 4 performed by Mengelberg Pepe and I have always found it a very different interpretation yet always liked it. I do not know if he has recorded any other Mahler other than M4. Perhaps Seán can enlighten me as I know that he bought a Mengelberg box set some time ago.
I do have a Mengelberg box set alas it only has the M4, I do like it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:And now this gets the blood flowing, the foot tapping and the spirits rising: it is music written by GOD and performed by angels:

Johann Sebastian Bach
Magnificat BWV 243

La Chapelle Royale
Collegium Vocale Gent
Philippe Herreweghe conducting.

Perfection!
You really do like the Bach Magnificat Seán!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:

That surprises me Seán; I thought that the ultimate Mahlerite would have the Solti set. I know, I know; does one need another Mahler cycle. In the case of Solti methinks so my friend; Georg does Gustav very well indeed!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Glass: Satyagraha....

....Wonderful!!
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

I have the Solti Mahler cycle even though later performances have superseded some of Solti's. I cut my teeth on Solti's Mahler, so to speak, and thus have a soft spot for it. My first live symphony concert was Mahler 7 with Solti and Chicago and I can still anticipate the click from the old vinyl LP in the slow movement. :)

My favorites are the 6th and 7th.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

That surprises me Seán; I thought that the ultimate Mahlerite would have the Solti set. I know, I know; does one need another Mahler cycle. In the case of Solti methinks so my friend; Georg does Gustav very well indeed!
I know Fergus, [says he hanging his head in acute embarrassment], I do have see several Solti recordings with the CSO, LSO and RCO but not the complete set with the CSO.