Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by Fran »

You'll have to tell us more about the coiled Cat 7 - added inductance or capacitance?
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

any more pics of the circuitry?

is there a reclocker in use?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Fran wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm You'll have to tell us more about the coiled Cat 7 - added inductance or capacitance?
No idea what is going on Fran but as it was a cheap test case and i parked my scepticism after reading about it at Audiomart from someone whose ears I trust, and I was shocked by the improvement.

I started a thread over on Computer Audiophile to see if the owners of ISO Regens would test and see what they found, turned into a right fire fight but some good stuff coming out of it as well.
Waiting on John Swenson to do some testing to see if he can figure out what is going on.

I basically printed the cylinders to coil the 1 metre cables for tidiness and to be able to park these inside the Meitner and they work well.
Still looking at about €10 per unit and worth the money.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/foru ... ent-cheap/

Post by Sligolad »

nige2000 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 pm any more pics of the circuitry?

is there a reclocker in use?
I will get some more pics at the weekend Nige, i had taken some before i closed the Meitner but they never saved on the camera.

No reclocker in use just short wires coming straight off the Bclk, Lrck, Data points which are going into the differential driver chips which split these signal into positive and negative signals for the dual Dacs, these short wires off Bclk, Lrck, Data point go straight into the SD Player connections.

While I have no power on the USB IN to power the Xmos and on board clocks it appears the DAC gets a signal to switch frequency from the digital board and it obviously has defaulted to the 44.1 clock state and remained there.
I will trigger the 48 clock at the weekend and should hopefully be able to hear 96/192 - 24 tracks from the SD player.

I have a couple more of these SD players on order and will do some more experimenting once I get them and add one to the Big7 next.
I will need reclocking and Mclk in place for the Big 7.

Post by tapatrick »

Received my SD card player today and it’s been running for several hours and sounding great.
Would appreciate if some one could post a pic of how to bypass the 5v input reg in order to power it with 3.3v.
thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

You need to run 3.3V to the middle leg and tab......
Do or do not, there is no try
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

Thanks Fran. Will give it a go

Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

3.3v can be soldered to here:

Post by Sligolad »

Finally got the Meitner running HiRez, gave up on DSD as was taking too much time and I do not listen to DSD these days.

Initially setup with the Ver 2 digital board setup on stilts inside the Meitner as a standalone so I cold take short i2s out through the top of the Case near the front leaving the Ver 1 digital installed in the back for normal USB input.

Tried some Cat7 cable at 1 metre long for the i2s and it worked beautifully with no loss in quality that i could hear so I proceed then to wire in to the back board and take out the Ver 2 board altogether as it needs some work to get it back to normal.

Got HiRez working by adding a 3.3v signal on the board so no clocks being used on the Digital board at all.
I can still use the digital in on the back by disconnecting the SD Player 3.3v connection.

Some pics below:

Ver 2 Digtal board ahead of the Ver 1 Digital board in the back which worked fine but was awkward to assemble with short i2s lines.

Took out the Ver 2 Digital board and wired into the Ver 1 board at the back and used 1 metre cables for 12s:

Assembled unit with SD player on top:

Side view:

Post by tapatrick »

Sligolad wrote:3.3v can be soldered to here:

Thank you @sligolad!