MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

I note my learned friends on pucker my fish are continuing to request the source code and somehow only having access to a few hundred different versions of a program with descriptons of the changes made between them means that the "opportunity to be at the heart of a real investigation into the entire mystery of the relationship between sound quality and coding technique" has been blown. Shame he's 10 months late to the party.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... 70&page=35

If anyone wants to hear the effect of any particular instruction, I'll gladly build a version to demonstrate it.

I assume all the other players were peer reviewed, so don't think peer reviewing has anything to do with SQ. As I have said before it has been peer reviewed by someone I trust.
taggart

Post by taggart »

jesuscheung wrote:according to XA, win7 is best for SQ. XA is making audiophile win7 installation iso. can't wait. maker of XA has best hifi ears i know on earth. he is almost never wrong on tweaks in regard to SQ. he is an enthusiast like us.
JC,
did XA already listened to Windows Server 2012?
I'm on Windows Server 2012 R2 with Audiophile Optimizer (1.21 beta). Had no issues so far, the Thesycon drivers for my WaveIO board could be installed without any problems and it sounds fantastic to me.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:
Sligolad wrote:Sounds like locking XA and PPA in a room for a week and see what they come out with would be an interesting experiment!

PPA is Paul Pang, need to look up XA....
thx for the information of PPA! was having trouble with choosing a PSU. the answer seems to be on his blog!!

XA's blog is
http://blog.sina.com.cn/shanpcaudio

it's in chinese with some english translate.
If jc is affiliated hes doing a terrible job

im sure JC is well fit to tune tha xa pc to take away that digital sound
JC it would be disappointing to find out you were affiliated in some way to XA, I'm sure you are not.

I tried XA before starting MQn, for me it has an attractive effect on the timing, but at a cost of sounding digital. It also is developed specifically for one dac (firewire something that is popular in the Asia) and optimised for 24/44.1 ie all other formats are converted to this while playing.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

taggart wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:according to XA, win7 is best for SQ. XA is making audiophile win7 installation iso. can't wait. maker of XA has best hifi ears i know on earth. he is almost never wrong on tweaks in regard to SQ. he is an enthusiast like us.
JC,
did XA already listened to Windows Server 2012?
I'm on Windows Server 2012 R2 with Audiophile Optimizer (1.21 beta). Had no issues so far, the Thesycon drivers for my WaveIO board could be installed without any problems and it sounds fantastic to me.
Cool whats it like
optimiser vs no optimiser firewall off and enhanced security off?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:
Sligolad wrote:Sounds like locking XA and PPA in a room for a week and see what they come out with would be an interesting experiment!

thx for the information of PPA! was having trouble with choosing a PSU. the answer seems to be on his blog!!

XA's blog is

JC it would be disappointing to find out you were affiliated in some way to XA, I'm sure you are not.

I tried XA before starting MQn, for me it has an attractive effect on the timing, but at a cost of sounding digital. It also is developed specifically for one dac (firewire something that is popular in the Asia) and optimised for 24/44.1 ie all other formats are converted to this while playing.
hmm... don't go against XA... i am here for SQ. MQn and XA are the only two players i know that every update involves better SQ. there is only one true sound, if two players output the same SQ, we can have some confidence in true sound. in vocal, XA and MQn are very close. for other aspects, MQn is much already better. i am actually trying to get people compare XA vs MQn so that shanpc would improve XA. in a way, yes i want to help improve XA as much as i would for MQn. if you dislike my comments on XA, i would stop.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sbgk wrote:I note my learned friends on pucker my fish are continuing to request the source code and somehow only having access to a few hundred different versions of a program with descriptons of the changes made between them means that the "opportunity to be at the heart of a real investigation into the entire mystery of the relationship between sound quality and coding technique" has been blown. Shame he's 10 months late to the party.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... 70&page=35

If anyone wants to hear the effect of any particular instruction, I'll gladly build a version to demonstrate it.

I assume all the other players were peer reviewed, so don't think peer reviewing has anything to do with SQ. As I have said before it has been peer reviewed by someone I trust.
This time, it would really mean it...
"If I tell you, I have to kill you", period.
Why would a lion ever give up just killed buffalo to the hyenas?
Isn't it ridicules!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
erin

Post by erin »

sbgk,

apologies in advance if this has already been suggested and rejected.

Would it be a good idea to make available a zipped folder on your google drive, containing all relevant files, so that newbies can download the entire folder, unzip it, install it in c drive, and start playing music straight away?

Just and idea....
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

jesuscheung wrote:
sbgk wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:Sounds like locking XA and PPA in a room for a week and see what they come out with would be an interesting experiment!

XA's blog is

hmm... don't go against XA... i am here for SQ. MQn and XA are the only two players i know that every update involves better SQ. there is only one true sound, if two players output the same SQ, we can have some confidence in true sound. in vocal, XA and MQn are very close. for other aspects, MQn is much already better. i am actually trying to get people compare XA vs MQn so that shanpc would improve XA. in a way, yes i want to help improve XA as much as i would for MQn. if you dislike my comments on XA, i would stop.[/quote]
I say post away JC, i think we are all interested in the best sound and sbgk has already offered his learning to JPlay so I expect we are all looking for best sound.
Good to see JPlay have not blocked discussion on MQN on their commercial JPlay site which is refreshing but things could change when more take up the MQN and or XA route.
I think the key word here not to trip over is "Affilliated" which can be taken to mean to mean many things, if your ears are as good as they seem to be then allow us the benefit of what you hear with them when you can :-))

You gotta love competition!! Cheers, Pearse.

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:[
hmm... don't go against XA... i am here for SQ. MQn and XA are the only two players i know that every update involves better SQ. there is only one true sound, if two players output the same SQ, we can have some confidence in true sound. in vocal, XA and MQn are very close. for other aspects, MQn is much already better. i am actually trying to get people compare XA vs MQn so that shanpc would improve XA. in a way, yes i want to help improve XA as much as i would for MQn. if you dislike my comments on XA, i would stop.
just pulling your leg. the SQ is quite different between the players so am a little confused that you find them comparable.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

erin wrote:sbgk,

apologies in advance if this has already been suggested and rejected.

Would it be a good idea to make available a zipped folder on your google drive, containing all relevant files, so that newbies can download the entire folder, unzip it, install it in c drive, and start playing music straight away?

Just and idea....
it's acting as a filtering mechanism. Once it get's near a final version it will be more accessible.

Was speaking to a German guy called Christoph who was going to rewrite the mqn.bat as an executable, advised him to post his ideas here. He said he had signed up to tnh.