What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:

See....I was listening and paying attention!!
LOL :-) Enjoy anyway. BTW all that minimal classical/ambient music was done by another electronic music pioneer long before the likes of Olafar and his ilk were born! So for me it's a case of deja vú :)
Derek

Post by Derek »

If you enjoy the occasional Funk Fest this is a no brain certainty, great stuff!

the blurb (http://www.dustygroove.com)

Heavy funk from the Curtom Records empire – a massive dose of hard-hitting cuts from the Windy City soul powerhouse!
Although Curtom's best known for its classics by Curtis Mayfield, the label's got plenty more to offer than just that great work – a heaping helping of killer grooves served up by some of Curtis contemporaries, a good number of whom get some help in the studio from Mayfield himself!
The package pulls together some great bits from under-exposed Curtom singles – including a few on some of it's smaller sub-labels – and also sneaks in a few key album cuts as well, to make for a killer blend of tracks that really reminds us how great Curtom was back in the day.

Tracks include;
"I Got A Problem" by Jesse Anderson,
"Don't Change Your Love" by Five Stairsteps & Cubie,
"I Thank You" by Donny Hathaway & June Conquest,
"Get It" by Triplett Twins, "Bumpin" by Groundhog,
"Sofunkstication" by Leroy Hutson,
"I've Got To Find A Way To Hide (part 1)" by Moses Dillard & Tex Town Display,
"Will You Be There" by Jones Girls,
"Soul Is Love" by Love's Children,
"Cool Out" by Leroy Hutson,
"Must Be Love Coming Down" by Major Lance,
"Bring It On Down To Me (part 1)" by Bobby Franklin's Insanity,
"Without A Warning" by The Amazers,
"The Devil Made Me Do It" by Rasputin Stash,
"Superpeople" by The Notations.

© 1996-2010, Dusty Groove America, Inc.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:BTW all that minimal classical/ambient music was done by another electronic music pioneer long before the likes of Olafar and his ilk were born! So for me it's a case of deja vú :)
To whom do you refer good sir?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:BTW all that minimal classical/ambient music was done by another electronic music pioneer long before the likes of Olafar and his ilk were born! So for me it's a case of deja vú :)
To whom do you refer good sir?
He's a chap called Tim Story and I never play his music for other people as they never 'get' it, if you know what I mean. I've continued to keep in contact with him since the early 80s and his music is very, very precious to me. He was the only one around at the time who could actually play the piano properly, albeit in his own sweet way... that was a revelation to me as it was just all synths, sequencers and drum m/cs back then. I tell you what, when I get the time I'll make up a short compilation of highlights if you like. Just say the word :-)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Another little vinyl raid today:

on Ivors recommendation (BTW its available on vinyl in tower)

The odd one out? Probably, but I couldn't resist. Might get come dance with me later.....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:Another little vinyl raid today:
Three gems there. I haven't got the Grinderman2 album yet but I'm hearing great things. I'm just about to open a bottle of Jaybee's patented audio upgrade juice and listen to Gil Scott Heron again.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:He's a chap called Tim Story and I never play his music for other people as they never 'get' it, if you know what I mean. I've continued to keep in contact with him since the early 80s and his music is very, very precious to me. He was the only one around at the time who could actually play the piano properly, albeit in his own sweet way... that was a revelation to me as it was just all synths, sequencers and drum m/cs back then. I tell you what, when I get the time I'll make up a short compilation of highlights if you like. Just say the word :-)
Yes please....I would be very interested in hearing that when you get a chance to get it together!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:He's a chap called Tim Story and I never play his music for other people as they never 'get' it, if you know what I mean. I've continued to keep in contact with him since the early 80s and his music is very, very precious to me. He was the only one around at the time who could actually play the piano properly, albeit in his own sweet way... that was a revelation to me as it was just all synths, sequencers and drum m/cs back then. I tell you what, when I get the time I'll make up a short compilation of highlights if you like. Just say the word :-)
Yes please....I would be very interested in hearing that when you get a chance to get it together!!

'No bother' as we say down here in Dandoooorrrrk :-)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Grinderman = good!

Beautifully presented too, vinyl album, cd, book and poster for 19.99
The sinatra doesn't sound as good as expected - mono version and all. I'll try it on the other tt before saying more. Gil Scott heron yet to be tried

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Grinderman = good!

Beautifully presented too, vinyl album, cd, book and poster for 19.99
The sinatra doesn't sound as good as expected - mono version and all. I'll try it on the other tt before saying more. Gil Scott heron yet to be tried

Fran
I have to say Grindermans performance on the Jools show was suitably electric. I can only take him in very small bite sizes though.