What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

another first listen... very light, melodic and accessible... nothing deep here in these early works, but certainly very pleasant...
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: I know that you have been planning a Hummel odyssey for some time now so I hope that you enjoy your journey!
thanks Fergus... at present, I have the 2 disks I've posted today, and I'm sure that in due course more will follow... some very interesting material for Violin, Viola & orch on this disk, which will require several listens..
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Image

another first listen... very light, melodic and accessible... nothing deep here in these early works, but certainly very pleasant...
I too like those two works Jared; I have them but in another version.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Haydn – Disc No. 1....

Symphonies Nos. 95, 98 & 104.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote: The organ sound from the one here in Saint Ouen was recommended to me and it certainly doesnt disappoint. Right up there with St Sulpice to my amatuer ears anyway.
It's easily one of my favourite sounding instruments in the world.

Next stop, St Sernin de Toulouse!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:
DaveF wrote: The organ sound from the one here in Saint Ouen was recommended to me and it certainly doesnt disappoint. Right up there with St Sulpice to my amatuer ears anyway.

Simon, Dave... I was wondering, did any of you purchase the April BBC Music Mag with Bach Organ works played by David Goode? The editorial team said they had a lot of very positive responses about that one, even (in the case of one letter) from a chap who had previously not enjoyed the Organ...
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Didn't get that one, Jared, but it's interesting they got that response. There are an awful lot of people out there who can't warm to the organ at all, so you're certainly not alone. I don't know much about David Goode except for a few online bits and bobs, but I'd expect him to do a good job.

Actually, given your predicament (!) you should probably try something French and symphonic recorded on a Cavaillé-Coll (like the above disc) just to see if you change your view. Now I know French music isn't for you and organ music isn't for you, but maybe two wrongs could make a right?!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:

Simon, what do you make of Daniel Roth's playing? I've seen many youtube clips of him playing.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote:Simon, what do you make of Daniel Roth's playing? I've seen many youtube clips of him playing.
Basically, I think he's a master! He has an unusual technique at times, and physically plays in a way that I can't reproduce (often landing on the keys from a starting place 6 inches above, for example) but he has tremendous skill with French romantic repertoire. I wouldn't be a fan of Bach, Buxtehude, Sweelinck et al played on these instruments and his style doesn't suit that, but he has an astonishing ability with the French stuff. At first hearing it can actually sound very strange when compared to other (English, etc.) performers, he uses rubato in ways that most others don't, but he always gives the music so much space and time that when you get used to his style it's hard to go back. I did a masterclass with him in the Pro-Cathedral a few years ago. As you can imagine I was pretty nervous, but he's a really nice man, and a very good teacher.

As I think I've said before, if you're ever in Paris on a Sunday morning, you could do a lot worse than going to St Sulpice for the concert after the morning mass. After the concert (if Daniel or Sophie-Veronique are there at any rate) you can climb the stairs and have a look at the organ loft and console. Obviously for organ-nerds like me this is akin to Mecca, but I think it's interesting even for the casual observer.