MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

pita crackling at start

nothing improving for me sq wise
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

sbgk wrote:uploaded so called 100000 versions of control/play sse2 versions, have called them 24 bit sse2 10ms etc versions. All sample rates are aligned to 10ms except for 24/176 and 24/192 which are 5ms.

Does sound blooming good.

have tested 16/44, 24/48, 24/96 & 24/192 successfully, seems to be a problem with 24/176

R1.1 fixes the 24/176 issue
Yes, this is magic!
(still can't play >24/48 but I don't care anymore)
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

R1.1 was a bit flat so uploaded R1.2, found some settings that seem to have added some excitement back into the sound.

It's back to the outrageous sound I remember from the early days of MQn, except about 10 x better.

Listening to Claire Martin and the sound is very live.

If this is a keeper shall do the other versions when I have time.
darkpink

Post by darkpink »

It would be nice if a win7 version of 1.2 would be uploaded, any chance?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 2.0 version so more people can use it without crackles.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

darkpink wrote:It would be nice if a win7 version of 1.2 would be uploaded, any chance?
uploaded win7 versions of 2.0 and 1.2

I don't rate win7, always gave a hard edge with wasapi
tony

Post by tony »

sbgk wrote:
darkpink wrote:It would be nice if a win7 version of 1.2 would be uploaded, any chance?
uploaded win7 versions of 2.0 and 1.2

I don't rate win7, always gave a hard edge with wasapi
Was reading on another forum today where the recommendation is xp no point or need to bother with 7 or that dastardly thing W8!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

some new things learnt from the latest versions, the assembly versions still sound better, the intrinsics should be best but the way the compiler interprets the instructions means it uses non optimal instructions and reorders things which affect sq. so back to assembly. also my avx version has stopped working for some reason.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

sbgk wrote:some new things learnt from the latest versions, the assembly versions still sound better, the intrinsics should be best but the way the compiler interprets the instructions means it uses non optimal instructions and reorders things which affect sq. so back to assembly. also my avx version has stopped working for some reason.
Probably Computer Audio Asylum? Well, that was the recc. over there as of maybe up to a year or two ago, but mainly because the forum's members had stripped Win XP down to a miniscule install (as low as 16 MB), which worked well with the cPlay/cMP project's player/shell (which also started there). Others just preferred Win XP's "house" sound over Win 7 (and, as is the case with a few holdouts over there, even Win 8/8.1).

As far as I see it, the problem with proceeding with Win XP, besides the obvious support issues, is the lack of a robust 64-bit implementation - I could be wrong, but I'm convinced much of how MQn has managed to sound as good as it does is due to, in part, its 64-bit architecture, along with the host of other newer WASAPI/Windows Audio Stack/C++ Compiling features that Gordon seems to be exploiting that Win XP likely would not support.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Thanks for the effort/help Gordon, et. al, but I'm pretty convinced given how my DAC has reacted to various mqnplay/control combinations that there's something incompatible with Gordon's coding efforts and my DAC's C-Media USB receiver chip. R2.0 and the 10ms versions for win7 all resulted in crackling. Not so with onboard Realtek sound. No bother, though, since 2.71 intel v2 still sounds relatively amazing.