What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:No matter how often I listen to it I never ceased to be surprised by the sheer magnificence of this recording of Beethoven's wonderful Seventh Symphony. I love it.
LvB's 7th is one of my favourite classical music works Seán.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.1

This is starting to become one of my favorite Mahler boxsets. Probably better sound quality to found elsewhere but there is something special about these performances.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:This is starting to become one of my favorite Mahler boxsets. Probably better sound quality to found elsewhere but there is something special about these performances.
I actually have no Mahler conducted by Bernstein at all Dave!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:This is starting to become one of my favorite Mahler boxsets. Probably better sound quality to found elsewhere but there is something special about these performances.
wow, now that's a surprise. You used to be cool man. ;-) :-P
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

And I thought that I became cool when I got the Bertini set!!!

You set the bar too high Dave!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:I actually have no Mahler conducted by Bernstein at all Dave!
Any reason why Fergus? Bernstein is not everyone's cup of tea when it comes to Mahler I know.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:I actually have no Mahler conducted by Bernstein at all Dave!
Any reason why Fergus? Bernstein is not everyone's cup of tea when it comes to Mahler I know.
No reason in particular Dave....just other buying priorities I suppose. I have long read that Bernstein provides exciting versions of Mahler and I was about to buy the original Bernstein box set when they re-issued that new (remastered??) set so I wanted to see how people felt abot it when compared to the original. I read mixed reviews about the comparison, surprise surprise, so I suppose it just got left on the Wish List. I definitely will eventually invest.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
I have the M5 with the VPO, I rarely listen to it. I can rarely see beyond HvK, Bertini or Abbado in that work.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I only have three Bernstein recordings of Mahler:

Symphony 3 with the NY Phil: a truly wonderful performance. I got it on poorly manufactured and warped LPs many years ago, happily I can now listen to it on CD.

Symphony 7 with the NY Phil. An excellent performance of my favourite Mahler Symphony.

Das Lied von der Erde with James King, DFD and the Vienna Phil (1966). Very special.

It looks like I should get more!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

My own listening (still tearing the shrink-wrap of last week's MDT CDs!):

more Zelenka: De Profundis. Quite arresting.

Brandenburg 5. Performance and recording really quite exceptional. I had high expectations of this, and they were exceeded.

Speaking of Bernstein, I was feeling the need for a new recording of Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex and got this. It's good!

I don't know if I've heard Beethoven's 1st Violin Sonata before. I really enjoyed it as performed by Faust and Melnikov.