MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: MQN

Post by tony »

Too many posts have passed so just a nod to Nigel thanks for dropbox haven't downloaded it yet but will let you know.
And noted Adam re your comments and your long missive is very accurate and can be applied to me also.

Spoke with Pearse last night and really at some point preferably soon some order is put on the versions to make it easier for new comers
to take the plunge. I am struggling and if I was fresh aboard wouldn't have a clue where to start. I reckon a lot of punters look and run a mile.
It has to be made easier. Not sure if Gordon fancies the idea of somebody else putting up a google drive with instructions and packaged MQn files that can be downloaded and run from PC's. The idea is to enable a first timer and even me! download a version and try it.
I volunteer Nigel as he is the best typist!

I hope it is not seen as threading on toes or muscling in as it is just to make what is already there easily installable.

Will be the weekend before I can try out any of the new stuff.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

John Dot wrote:
Aleg wrote: What is your DAC and what drivers are you using with it?
Aleg
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/m ... er-ii-plus with it's own built-in drivers and Asus Xonar Essence ST (custom Muses Opamp Edition). But can't play anything above 24/48.
HRT Streamer ii also has a maximum of 96kHz so is in all likelihood also using Windows native USB-drivers.

I wonder if it some issue with certain commands and certain drivers. I recall that with the latest versions from the 2.7x range we also got to the point that MQn was no longer compatible with all DDCs an DAC because of the use of certain commands.
I hope we're not drifting into that area again.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

John Dot wrote:
Aleg wrote: What is your DAC and what drivers are you using with it?
Aleg
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/m ... er-ii-plus with it's own built-in drivers and Asus Xonar Essence ST (custom Muses Opamp Edition). But can't play anything above 24/48.
HRT Streamer ii also has a maximum of 96kHz so is in all likelihood also using Windows native USB-drivers.

I wonder if it some issue with certain commands and certain drivers. I recall that with the latest versions from the 2.7x range we also got to the point that MQn was no longer compatible with all DDCs an DAC because of the use of certain commands.
I hope we're not drifting into that area again.

Cheers

Aleg
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Aleg wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:
sbgk wrote:I see R1.4 had a slightly different release point to normal and was equivalent to the 1.0 versions, R1.3 is the 3.0 version, shall do a 2.0 version.
None of the R1.x versions could play 24/192 on my system, 24/96 or 24/88 no problem. Any idea?
Cvrle59
Now you are using Windows' native USB audio driver you are limited to 96 kHz.
The 'only' reason that proprietary drivers exist for Windows is to get support above 96kHz because Microsoft refuses the upgrade their drivers to support higher than 96 kHz.

So either you install the Naim driver again to get 192kHz and above or you stick to Windows USB driver and be limited to 96kHz.

Cheers

Aleg
I can set windows native driver up to 24/192, and even test the sound from windows. Naim driver expands it to 24/384.
I can play 24/192 by Jriver through that driver no problem, even by mqn, but it would crackle.
Last edited by cvrle59 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:Too many posts have passed so just a nod to Nigel thanks for dropbox haven't downloaded it yet but will let you know.
And noted Adam re your comments and your long missive is very accurate and can be applied to me also.

Spoke with Pearse last night and really at some point preferably soon some order is put on the versions to make it easier for new comers
to take the plunge. I am struggling and if I was fresh aboard wouldn't have a clue where to start. I reckon a lot of punters look and run a mile.
It has to be made easier. Not sure if Gordon fancies the idea of somebody else putting up a google drive with instructions and packaged MQn files that can be downloaded and run from PC's. The idea is to enable a first timer and even me! download a version and try it.
I volunteer Nigel as he is the best typist!

I hope it is not seen as threading on toes or muscling in as it is just to make what is already there easily installable.

Will be the weekend before I can try out any of the new stuff.
Tony a few pages back I posted two dropbox links for a 32-bit and a 24-bit version. These are again outdated but it is easy enough to update them to the latest set.
Getting started with MQn would then be simple enough.

The main issue now IMHO is that the results are unpredictable, because certain version will work for some and not for others without any obvious reason. So that would make it difficult to get someone off the start with guarantee it will work.
Besides this, there is also the issue one has to know what container size the DAC requires for playback of highres, this can be 24-bit or 32-bit, and Gordon doesn't release 32-bit versions so often so that could leave certain people out of the game.
Furthermore the program WASAPI-test (this tells you what container size is supported by your driver/dac) gives results that are easy to interpret if you know what to look for, but if not it is just a mess of numbers. I could write an easy instruction on how to use and interpret WASAPI-test, but that won't bring you anything if Gordon doesn't release all types of container sizes. A single person even needs his 16-bit music in 24-bit containers.
It would be most convenient if you could select by parameter what container size you require, just like Jplay does.

I would be willing to assist in writing instructions for certain aspects if we could agree in what is required and if Gordon would make the effort to release all required types so nobody has to be left out of the game.

Cheers

Aleg
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 versions, each with a different release point.

old 1.3 = 3.5
old 1.4 = 1.5

3 is the standard method, get, copy, release ie gcr,
2 is crg
1 is rgc

think 1 sounds best on the cuinas, though they all work.

One of Tony's friends has given MQn the once over and you should be reassured that you won't be damaging your equipment by trying the different versions.

"MQn does nothing. It's all in your heads. I know this because I've dismantled it and I understand the entire flow of a PC playing media and the tiny part of the critical functionality that the MQn loop provides.

FWIW if the software were a significant factor then PCI(e) cards accessed with WASAPI would be the best sounding output devices. I recommend the ESI Juli@."

High praise indeed, for it was my aim to make MQn do nothing and it really is in your heads, ha ha.
Last edited by sbgk on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

cvrle59 wrote:
Aleg wrote: Cvrle59
Now you are using Windows' native USB audio driver you are limited to 96 kHz.
The 'only' reason that proprietary drivers exist for Windows is to get support above 96kHz because Microsoft refuses the upgrade their drivers to support higher than 96 kHz.

So either you install the Naim driver again to get 192kHz and above or you stick to Windows USB driver and be limited to 96kHz.

Cheers

Aleg
I can set windows native driver up to 24/192, and even test the sound from windows. Naim driver expands it to 24/384.
I can play 24/192 by Jriver through that driver no problem, even by mqn, but it would crackle.
Cvrle59

Are you sure the 192/24 is with the native Windows driver? Because that has always been the main stumbling block with Windows own USB-audio drivers and I know of no change in that area.

Is there anything above 96 in the second tab of the sound card properties under Supported Formats / Sample Rates?

Cheers

Aleg
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 versions, each with a different release point.

old 1.3 = 3.5
old 1.4 = 1.5

2 is crg
1 is rgc

One of Tony's friends has given MQn the once over and you should be reassured that you won't be damaging your equipment by trying the different versions.

"MQn does nothing. It's all in your heads. I know this because I've dismantled it and I understand the entire flow of a PC playing media and the tiny part of the critical functionality that the MQn loop provides.

FWIW if the software were a significant factor then PCI(e) cards accessed with WASAPI would be the best sounding output devices. I recommend the ESI Juli@."
They remain a laughable type of person.
Just ignore them.

Cheers

Aleg
sima66

Post by sima66 »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 versions, each with a different release point.

old 1.3 = 3.5
old 1.4 = 1.5

2 is crg
1 is rgc

I can confirm this guy statement about MQn. I assisted him and we actually dismantled the MQn together...........but we were never able to reassemble it and PUT IT TOGETHER!!! ;-))
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Tony

We may also need to introduce the concepts of stable-release and nightly-builds, where stable-releases should work for anybody, while nightly-builds may contain errors and might not (yet) for everybody.

A bit more structure in the release process so to speak.

Cheers

Aleg