the photography thread

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
fergus

Re: the photography thread

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote: I've been having much better than expected results with a pano pinhole camera. So although the negs are too big for my enlarger, I decided to contact print them. It took a session or two to get to grips with it, particularly dodging and burning blind! Anyway, I finished them up and dry mounted them yesterday. I'm fairly happy with the results - these are bound for various print exchanges I'm involved in.

ImageDry mounting pinhole contact prints from realitysosubtle 617 camera by francis morrin, on Flickr

Leaving aside the obvious quality of your images Fran, I am very impressed with your professional presentation. Are you cutting and bevelling your own mounts?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yep. I have a fairly decent mount cutter, plus a dry mount press (a beast of a thing) so I tend to mount in the traditional way. I buy standard size frames and can then cut the mount to suit both the print and the frame...

It does give a nice finish to it. Those ones above though are just dry mounted onto the mount board.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote:Yep. I have a fairly decent mount cutter, plus a dry mount press (a beast of a thing) so I tend to mount in the traditional way. I buy standard size frames and can then cut the mount to suit both the print and the frame...

It does give a nice finish to it. Those ones above though are just dry mounted onto the mount board.

Fran

I couldn't really make out whether they were bevel mounted or dry mounted from the image Fran; I can now make out that you have a border on the print itself which enhances the dry mounting.

I only had a simple bevel cutting tool and it took me a bit of time to master it initially. Not sure if I would have the eyes or the steady hand required nowadays! I think that I would probably need considerable practice before being successful again!
fergus

Post by fergus »

One can become a tad anal about these things but I am never sure which version of this particulare image that I prefer....

....my natural instinct is to frame or crop tightly as in image 2 but I feel that something is missing when compareed to imade 1.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Definitely image 1 for me, but what the hell do I know!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

yeah, I think I prefer the composition in #1 - the other looks a little more crowded and as the figures are smaller it makes the scene look more interesting.... I think!
fergus

Post by fergus »

I am inclined towards No. 1 myself guys. I think that it is more expansive and contextual; although No. 2 always had more immediate impact for me - but then that is not always everything.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'm at-tracked to that photo Fergus....

Here's another pinhole!

ImageA cold day in the Sliabh Blooms by francis morrin, on Flickr
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Excellent stuff chaps.... all great photos!!

I'm coming to an end of a small marathon of scanning, from the 25 rolls I am now down to one and a half. Various problems with scanning turned out to be issues with Adobe Elements, which will not accept images longer than 30K pixels. Fortunately windows photo viewer will work with large files, but it is slow on a sata drive. My storage is almost full... only 10 GB left.... so I will be looking at options for storage in the coming months.

If I get the time I'll try to post up a few images tomorrow.
Let the Good Times Roll...................