What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:....incidentally Fergus if you're interested, I have found the Junghanel set at a reasonable price, even though it has been discontinued:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Motets-Kon ... 674&sr=8-1

although you'll have to get it from America now, I'm afraid...
Thank you for that thought Jared!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl....

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: I have one or two recordings with Cleobury and I must say that I find him good.
Yes, quite. His Rachmaninov Vespers performance is one which springs to mind, which has had very favourable reviews...

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: Thank you for that thought Jared!
Never let it be said that I don't try to spend your money wisely, Fergus!... lol
mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:Pergolesi: Stabat Mater....

A magnificent work that is given a wonderful performance here!
Probably my favourite version of the Pergolesi Stabat Mater is a heart-stoppingly beautiful recording directed by Antonio Florio (available on Eloquentia), which is very generously coupled with Porpora's under-recorded gem, Salve Regina. I also enjoy Fabio Biondi's emotionally stirring version on Virgin which features some gorgeous singing by David Daniels and Dorothea Roschmann.

Image Image
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote: Probably my favourite version of the Pergolesi Stabat Mater is a heart-stoppingly beautiful recording directed by Antonio Florio (available on Eloquentia), which is very generously coupled with Porpora's under-recorded gem, Salve Regina. I also enjoy Fabio Biondi's emotionally stirring version on Virgin which features some gorgeous singing by David Daniels and Dorothea Roschmann.

Image Image
I fancy that Biondi version Paul but I have not come across the Antonio Florio before.
mcq

Post by mcq »

I spent today listening to some really wonderful music.

First of all, I listened to Rene Jacobs' definitive recording of Buxtehude's masterpiece, Membra Jesu Nostri (on Harmonia Mundi). A very intense piece and a coruscating experience. Next, an extraordinary version of Bach's mighty B Minor Mass directed by Thomas Hengelbock (on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi). Measured, intense, solemn, profound - one of the great versions of this masterpiece of masterpieces. Then, I listened to my favourite version of Monteverdi's 1610 Vespers - the great Jordi Savall's gloriously exuberant performance of this life-enhancing treasure (available on Alia Vox). Following that, I played Paolo Pandolfo's exceptional version of the Bach Cello Suites played on the viola di gamba (on Glossa). Perhaps the most sheerly poetic version of these intensely meditative pieces. Next, I listened to Rene Jacobs' benchmark performance of Gluck's masterpiece, Orfeo ed Euridice (on Harmonia Mundi). Exquisite singing here from Bernarda Fink and Maria Christina Kiehr. And, finally, I have been utterly entranced by Louis Lortie's traversal of the Liszt's complete Annees de Pelerinage (on Chandos). I was very impressed last year by Lortie's recording of the complete Beethoven piano sonatas and his Liszt playing is similarly rewarding - not as extroverted as some readings, this is a performance that eschews overt emotionalism and bombast in favour of understated nuance. Ready and waiting in the CD drawer is more Liszt - Brigitte Engerer's magnificent performance of his under-performed (and quite beautiful) Harmonies poetiques et religieuses (available on Mirare).

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Wow, Paul, that is some line up there and you must have started listening at about 7.00 am and continued through non stop all day! I know that it is all pleasure but I admire your stamina!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

mcq wrote:I spent today listening to some really wonderful music.

First of all, I listened to Rene Jacobs' definitive recording of Buxtehude's masterpiece, Membra Jesu Nostri (on Harmonia Mundi). A very intense piece and a coruscating experience.
Paul, your posts are very inspiring indeed.. :-))

I also really love the Buxtehude, however I have two different versions to you:

Image Image

I don't know whether you are familiar of either of these recordings, and where you would rate them?

I will, in due course be in the market for another recording of the great Mass in B minor... it is probably my favourite choral work by Bach so far... however at present, I only own the Gardiner...

This morning, I am giving relistens to all the Cantata disks I posted yesterday, so I won't bore you with the details again... suffice it to say that Jared, like all small children, enjoys repetition... ;-))