JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
shan

Re: JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Post by shan »

I deleted those entries in the red frame , and it sounds strained
not good
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

also need to delete
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

yes, strained. same here. if delete too much.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Welcome Shan

heres a complete mqn folder with a few variation options in it
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t4pp3igynpq5xno/Btq1pffSKF
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
wademcinnis

TRUSTED INSTALLER - the quandary

Post by wademcinnis »

JC your argument about leaving TI in there makes a certain kind of sense and there is no doubt you have much more experience with this OS that I -
but I think what confuses me with your argument is that TI has control over 90% of the files - only outside the WINDOWS folder do I see ADMINISTRATORS
having ownership instead of TI.

I readily admit I am extrapolating from what was learned with cMP - but when the registry was reduced (and it does make the registry much smaller) by making all permissions
EVERYONE there was a definite increase in quality. I am not aware of any trick that actually allows one to SEE how much smaller the registry is
with SERVER - unless NTREGEDIT works with it - have not tried. Guess I should.

Of course, another thing that could affect our "disagreement" is that you are dealing, as far as I know, with a mostly intact OS whereas by the time we figured out
the EVERYONE permission thing (none of us were WINDOWS experts in any way - tinkerers all) we had eliminated most of the .dlls and .exe's and this could easily affect
what each of us perceives.

Which is why I go back to my guiding principle that smaller is better and that is my goal. Trying to find the perfect combination of files that have nothing to do with
processing music in the computer strikes me as a noble pursuit but I cannot imagine one ever finding the best combination. We do not live long enough to
find out.

I am intrigued by your desire to tinker with this and the fellow whose site you have linked to who is VERY influenced by the cMP adventure, especially cics's
initial optimizations. Always a good start; one cannot go wrong with these basic tweaks.

I will try to write down, for those interested in trying, how to easily rid one's OS of TI. The same method does not work everytime but with a little practice
one gets to know what needs to be done. Start from the big files and work backwards is the basic procedure.

Everyone cannot take ownership of all files. If the machine will not accept Everyone, SYSTEM will be accepted. If it is something you know you are going to delete you just do
what you need to get rid of it.

From what I understand ControlSet2 has something to do with having multiple users, keeping up with individual settings. Since we are (I presume) only using Administrator there is no need for another set. So far, I can get rid of much of it but I get the feeling SERVER is not going to let us remove it entirely but WINDOWS can be funny. One day it will
not let you remove something only to let go of it the next day. Gives one time to listen ...

It is a goofy challenge that I wish I did not enjoy. I hope there is something to be gained. Glad this thread exists!

Take care,
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

yes, taking ownership of all files make life easy for deleting files. pls report your hard work!

hey, actually, if you are interested, in win2012, it has different modes:
normal mode
non-GUI mode
server core mode

"non-GUI" mode actually has much smaller registry size than "normal" mode. MS officially slimmed the registry. so, you can learn from MS how to "officially" delete files and remove registry properly.

for example, in server core mode, the svchost part of registry is at least 50% smaller than in normal mode
(svchost defines processes that contain services)
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

I made a good amount of progress this past weekend with more system32 slimming based on Bold Fortune's Win XP slimming guide. It turned out that I could delete most, if not all, of what he recommended without much issue, with a few exceptions (and many files that simply weren't there - some I found in SysWoW64 and deleted a while back, will have to go back and try SysWoW64 slimming another time with Bold Fortune's guide - he was using a 32-bit Win XP, obviously, but MS seems to have moved some of the system32 files to SysWoW64, and in some cases they have duplicates in both folders). In terms of SQ it's hard to comment since I was doing it in increments. I will post some screenshots of what I deleted in total this weekend and try to do some critical listening with MQn. Overall about a 1.5 GB reduction. Also includes some slimming from the "Windows" folder itself, though, and a few other places.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Also, for the record, the screenshot shan posted I originally posted to show what keys you should NOT delete (so, the ones in the red frame). I was doing this based off of the Graphix N' Stuff poster's recommendation for Win 7 performance slimming (he implied deleting those keys would cause issues with Win 7 stability), not based on SQ, but apparently you can delete those as well, just not to good effect!
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

internethandle wrote:...but MS seems to have moved some of the system32 files to SysWoW64, and in some cases they have duplicates in both folders)...
yes. same files everywhere! these same files also seem to appear in winsxs.
wademcinnis

LOTS of repetition in WINDOWS

Post by wademcinnis »

You wonder if those files are really there or if they refer to a common repository?

I know in the registry there are lots of duplicate entries. One the first places to remove entries.

I am using MQn with WaveIO USB so from what I have read I have no choice but to go with
the GUI version since I presume I need to retain the WASAPI - though I am not
sure if I am actually using IT or ASIO. Still figuring out this OS and what MQn requires.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

these files are hard links. only 1 actual file exists.

non-GUI mode has WASAPI.
server-core mode has no WASAPI.